Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove download missing from Music 1.2.3.56

Hello,

I recently upgraded to a new MacBook Pro OS 12.3. When migrating from my old MacBook Pro, it transferred many songs to my hard drive (over 100 GB worth). I have iTunes Match and currently subscribe to Apple Music. I don't see the option to "remove download" anymore, just "remove from library". It would be great to get these songs in the cloud to free up my hard drive space. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 8:25 AM

If you have an Apple Music subscription then you don't need iTunes Match too.

Have you enabled Sync Library? See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support.

See also Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. One would hope that the remove download option is only presented for content that is successfully matched or uploaded.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2022 8:25 AM in response to rastro4

If you have an Apple Music subscription then you don't need iTunes Match too.

Have you enabled Sync Library? See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support.

See also Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. One would hope that the remove download option is only presented for content that is successfully matched or uploaded.

tt2

Aug 7, 2022 4:41 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I have sync library checked. Now I'm able to see iCloud status, but I still don't see the remove download option. I have some of my own demos and home recordings in iTunes (that aren't available in Apple Music), so Match was useful in syncing those songs across all the computers.

Some of the tracks have the status of "uploaded" but I still don't see the remove download option. I'm trying to free up hard drive space. My downloaded music makes up over 100 GB.

Thanks,

Joe

Aug 7, 2022 9:58 AM in response to rastro4

On first release Apple Music didn't encompass all of the features of iTunes Match, so some users found that matched content might become protected on a different computer. That has since changed and there is no longer a benefit for you in having both services.

You should find Remove Download at the top of the right-click context menu for a track selection, or at the bottom of the Song menu. I wondered if having tracks located outside of the media folder might affect whether or not this option is presented, but it doesn't seem to. I relocated a track to the desktop and Music was still able to remove it when I used Remove Download. Typically content outside the media folder would be left in place if you deleted from Music or iTunes so that was odd.

tt2

Aug 7, 2022 10:20 AM in response to turingtest2

OK. So that might be it. It's very strange. When I select Command + Shift + R to find the root mp3, it says it can't be found. And a spotlight search doesn't find the track. But still the size column indicates the size of the file, so maybe it still exists somewhere?

In theory, it should be. When I select "show only music on this computer". Maybe these files are on my old laptop and migration assistant didn't transfer them? Still, the iTunes Music folder in the finder shows 80 gb of files.

Thanks for continuing to help!

Joe

Remove download missing from Music 1.2.3.56

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.