Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded music in iTunes

I’m trying to remove downloaded music from iTunes to free up space. There seem to be several ways to do this song by song but I can’t figure out if there’s a way to do it all at once. I’m trying to move my library to external storage and it seems I can only copy and paste to external storage music already downloaded to the Mac. The size of my library is 540 gigabytes but the size of my ssd is only 256 gigabytes so I’m doing it in sections. This is working but having moved the first 85 gigabytes I must now delete the downloads to move on to the next part. I’m running Hi Sierra on a 2011 iMac. I would really appreciate a solution if anyone has one for me. My motivation here is to protect my library from disappearing if I should ever opt out of my subscription. A couple years ago I tried out Amazon music because I was already paying for Prime and some music was included. However when I tried that my entire library went poof. I expected that the Apple Music part of my library would be gone but that was only a small portion of the collection and I lost it all. Apple was unable or not willing to fix this for me. The only way to get it back was to re-subscribe.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 7:48 AM

It's been awhile since I moved from iTunes to Music, but see if this works in iTunes. Open iTunes, select Library > Songs then in the menu strip select View > Show View Options. You should get a window like the one below. Select "Cloud Download." Then, in your Library (song view) click the Cloud Download column header to sort the list of songs. All your downloaded songs should then be grouped together somewhere in your full Library list. From there you could select all the downloaded songs and remove them from your Library.

The screenshot below is from Music, not iTunes, so just follow the idea in case iTunes has slightly different options or screens.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 7:48 AM in response to chris armstrong 1956

It's been awhile since I moved from iTunes to Music, but see if this works in iTunes. Open iTunes, select Library > Songs then in the menu strip select View > Show View Options. You should get a window like the one below. Select "Cloud Download." Then, in your Library (song view) click the Cloud Download column header to sort the list of songs. All your downloaded songs should then be grouped together somewhere in your full Library list. From there you could select all the downloaded songs and remove them from your Library.

The screenshot below is from Music, not iTunes, so just follow the idea in case iTunes has slightly different options or screens.

Mar 16, 2023 8:26 AM in response to chris armstrong 1956

Thanks Martin. That worked in terms of getting me to where all my downloaded songs are listed. I've actually been there before via a couple other ways. But I can't seem to " Select All " Nothing happens. So I'm just slogging away with manual deletions song by song which will get me there eventually. Its labour intensive but I'm an old fart and only work part time so I have the time. And I recently upgraded the old beast with an SSD so at least its very fast. Apple support has no solution for this. But I have a go to Mobile Mac tech who has figured out solutions to other software issues for me in the past. He will likely figure this out too, and when he does I will share how he did it. It isn't free but I'm like a dog with a bone when I run into these roadblocks; and my experience is that there is usually a fix even if the Apple Genius techs don't know about it. At least they try. And they haven't charged me a dime for the support so God Bless em.

Mar 16, 2023 4:30 PM in response to chris armstrong 1956

Can't tell how you are trying to "Select All" ...

... but once you have sorted the list of songs and all the songs you are interested in are listed together, try selecting just one song, then, while holding down the Shift key, use the mouse to click another song further below. The first & last song selected plus all between them should then be selected. It's not the same as "Select All" but enables you to select many at a time.

Mar 17, 2023 8:17 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks again. I actually stumbled upon the right path yesterday and was able to delete all the downloads. Unfortunately I didn't make note of how I got there. God knows if I will find it again; so I will save your replies to try next time. I'm halfway to 100 gigabytes with the next section and when I get it moved I will have two thirds of the total stashed. I'm actually enjoying the whole process. It is allowing me to build a library of just the stuff I really like because I am skipping over some pop and opera content that I don't much care for. I'm also finding content I didn't know I had. Some artists ( Pink Floyd, Zappa,Mozart,Beethoven ), there is plenty of duplification. This allows me to choose the remastered versions. Its a lot of fun. And I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I love Apple Music. In particular I love the AI behind the genius shuffle option on the mac. I will likely never give up my subscription. But I resent my library being held hostage. When I'm finished it won't be.

Mar 20, 2023 10:05 AM in response to chris armstrong 1956

Finally figured it out via a path I actually remember, although I have no doubt there are other ways. In high sierra my itunes has a menu option titled " Downloaded " Opening that in the songs view displayed all the songs downloaded. At that point trying to select all under edit doesn't work. However, if I close itunes when it is displaying those songs, and quit the app, the next time I reopen it they are still there. And at that point the select all option does work just fine. At which point I was able to copy them and paste them to external storage. On my mac the transfer takes about 20 minutes for 40 gigabytes. When its complete I am able to delete all the downloaded songs at once via the same method which takes a couple seconds. And after I empty the trash they are gone and I get that space back. Seems incredibly simple which also describes me when it comes to understanding software; but in my experience there is always way which is why I love most things Apple.

Downloaded music in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.