Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I still need my iTunes library stored on my mac hardrive now I have apple music?

My iTunes library is about 33GB. I've been using Apple Music for a while across Mac/iPhone/iPad, and happy with it. I am finally willing to let go of my iTunes library (or more specifically, archive it on an external hard drive *just in case*).

To use Apple Music on my Mac, and avoid issues with other devices linked with the same Apple ID, do I need to keep all the music downloaded on my Mac?

I'm thinking along the lines of the "optimise storage" option on iPhone, to limit the amount of music that is downloaded locally.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 2:35 PM

If you have any tracks that are rare or for any reason not available on Apple Music, keep copies locally. Otherwise, archiving to an external drive should be fine.

1 reply

Do I still need my iTunes library stored on my mac hardrive now I have apple music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.