Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access DMG file created by Disk Utility

I have an external HDD (LaCie) that was still HFS formatted. I did not realize it needed to be converted to APFS. Now it won't mount so I cannot retrieve the contents, mostly photos. I got this message:

Could not mount “Jo-My Pictures 2020”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49153.)

I used Disk Utility to create an Image (DMG) from the HDD. That completed and is about the right size.

Also, I used Disk Utility to "Convert" it to read only. Now I have 2 DMG files that I cannot open to retrieve the files from either one.

Double clicking on either DMG file results in nothing happening.

Any advice? Thanks,

Rob Morrison

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 1:19 PM

It doesn't need to be converted. Did you try to convert it?

Was it accessible before you converted it?

Have you tried running First Aid on the drive?

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 6, 2022 1:20 PM in response to RobMorrison

Hmm, after doing an initial Internet search, I came across this Wikipedia entry:

With the introduction of Mac OS X 10.6, Apple dropped support for formatting or writing HFS disks and images, which remain supported as read-only volumes.[1] Starting with macOS 10.15, HFS disks can no longer be read.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

If this is true, then the only potential solutions I see are:

1. Use a Mac, running a pre-macOS Catalina OS, or
  2. Run a VM of a pre-macOS Catalina on your current Mac to try to access it.

Aug 6, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

Hmm, after doing an initial Internet search, I came across this Wikipedia entry:

With the introduction of Mac OS X 10.6, Apple dropped support for formatting or writing HFS disks and images, which remain supported as read-only volumes.[1] Starting with macOS 10.15, HFS disks can no longer be read.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

I'm pretty certain that reference is to HFS not HFS+.

Cannot access DMG file created by Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.