Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since last update, can not mount external hard drives which contain all my photos for work.

Why do we get updates that ruin the ability to use systems we have used for years. Not a single one of my external hard drives will mount now, one contains thousands of photos that I sell & store on the hardrive as there isn't enough room on the mac. I have tried searching for answers and tried a few things stated, nothing works. I get disk management disenter error 49153 when I try to force mounting in disk utility. Please help as I am now stuck in limbo and can't access my photos to edit or work on them in photoshop. Id love to undo the update if anyone knows how to either, it was all working perfect till then. So over stupid updates when they ruin other things.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 6:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 6:49 PM

Fitnik2b Said:

"Since last update, can not mount external hard drives which contain all my photos for work."

-------

Change Finder Preferences:

Items may have been Unchecked by the Update:

1. Click: the Desktop
  2. Click: Finder menu
  3. Click: General tab
  4. Check: "Hard disks", "External disks", and "CDs, DVDs, and iPods,"

Screenshot:

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2023 6:49 PM in response to Fitnik2b

Fitnik2b Said:

"Since last update, can not mount external hard drives which contain all my photos for work."

-------

Change Finder Preferences:

Items may have been Unchecked by the Update:

1. Click: the Desktop
  2. Click: Finder menu
  3. Click: General tab
  4. Check: "Hard disks", "External disks", and "CDs, DVDs, and iPods,"

Screenshot:

Apr 29, 2023 10:12 PM in response to Fitnik2b

Fitnik2b Said:

"Which hard drive? The Mac? As can’t be the external drives as they work on other machines and not one out of 4 now work on my Mac yet they all worked perfectly the day before the update[...]"

-------

Thank you or the followup reply.

Reinstall the macOS:

So, If you just installed an update, and this began, then it is probably an issue with the update not being 100% successfully. So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Apr 29, 2023 9:24 PM in response to Fitnik2b

Fitnik2b Said:

"Since last update, can not mount external hard drives which contain all my photos for work.: I tried that. Was unticked. But still we’re t able to mount any of the drives after. Have tried so many things I found online. Nothing worked. Have now tried to do a system restore to older update. But it’s been a few hours now and still going."

-------

Thank you for the followup reply.

Hard drive Failure, Perhaps:

Your hard drive is likely failing. So, when completed, perform the following:

Run First Aid:

1. Boot: in Recovery Mode
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: Your Internal Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

Apr 29, 2023 9:17 PM in response to muguy

Tried most of those solutions. It’s definitely the Mac OS as I have 4 external drives mounted all the time and all we’re working till I did the update. Now. Not a single one will mount. But do on the tv and MacBook Pro.

one of the other updates I did, stopped my Wacom tablet working too. Took me so long to get that going again but do have an ongoing lag now. But didn’t prior. I don’t think I’ll allow it to do automatic updates now. Always something stops working after.

Apr 29, 2023 10:05 PM in response to TheLittles

Which hard drive? The Mac? As can’t be the external drives as they work on other machines and not one out of 4 now work on my Mac yet they all worked perfectly the day before the update.

I tried to use disk utility to do first aid. But was shaded out. So not an option. Also don’t want to lose literally 10s of thousands of photos on them either by restoring. It’s only since the update and all 4 external drives now won’t mount.

Since last update, can not mount external hard drives which contain all my photos for work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.