You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating will not complete for Photos with new update to Ventura 13.1

Hey All,

I have a iMac i5 2020 no problems until I updated to 13.1 and clicked on Photos, went and found the drive on the external HD. as normal after an update, been struck at 5% for hours?? Anyone know what to do, a bit worried. Please help cheers..

iMac

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 2:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 10:08 PM

What format is the external drive? Photos has always wanted its libraries to reside on either APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) locally attached devices, but Ventura 13 and 13.1 have reportedly become even pickier about that than previous systems.

See the first heading of Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support for these and other restrictions.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2022 10:08 PM in response to jez244

What format is the external drive? Photos has always wanted its libraries to reside on either APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) locally attached devices, but Ventura 13 and 13.1 have reportedly become even pickier about that than previous systems.

See the first heading of Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support for these and other restrictions.

updating will not complete for Photos with new update to Ventura 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.