Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID stopped working on iPhone XR; won’t allow me to set up again

I have a iPhone XR and since running the most recent update (OS 15.6), my Face ID no longer works. My portrait mode in camera doesn’t work either. I’ve watched videos on YouTube and read forums and know others are having this issue, it a simple restart has not fixed the issue for me.

I’ve even gone so far as restoring my phone to factory settings, and I still have the same issue with setting up my Face ID. It looks blurry and tells me to lower my phone. No matter how I move my face within the frame it goes in and out of looking blurry and doesn’t recognize my image.

Is there any help for this phone?

thank you!!

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 8:58 PM

Forrestalm Said:

"Face ID stopped working on iPhone XR; won’t allow me to set up again: I have a iPhone XR and since running the most recent update (OS 15.6), my Face ID no longer works. My portrait mode in camera doesn’t work either. [...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Face ID:

A. Tried these two links?:

B. Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this post
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2022 8:58 PM in response to Forrestalm

Forrestalm Said:

"Face ID stopped working on iPhone XR; won’t allow me to set up again: I have a iPhone XR and since running the most recent update (OS 15.6), my Face ID no longer works. My portrait mode in camera doesn’t work either. [...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Face ID:

A. Tried these two links?:

B. Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this post
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Aug 6, 2022 8:50 PM in response to Forrestalm

According to Apple:

Using diagnostics available in iOS 14.6 or later, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

As a result, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Face ID stopped working on iPhone XR; won’t allow me to set up again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.