Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Mac Studio Issues

Hello!

I've just bought my brand new Mac Studio, this week. It's to replace my 2015 iMac 5k 27", which has been pretty flawless for the most part. I opted for the Mac Studio base model, but with 1tb storage. I also bought a magic keyboard and trackpad from Amazon, AirPods Max and Studio Display from John Lewis.

Anyway, since getting my studio, I've had a few issues that are driving me rather bonkers! Firstly, my Studio is definitely on the louder side of things and has the dreaded, 'whistle' or 'whine'. I've noticed this gets worse, the longer the Mac has been turned on or whilst using Photoshop, etc.

I've also noticed some bluetooth issues - firstly, the Magic Trackpad seems stutter-y and laggy and occasionally jumps all over the screen. I noticed this as soon as I started to use the Mac. Expose and my gestures, have also stopped working. I've had to reboot my machine several times, to get them to work again. I have tried two other trackpads and a Magic Mouse and they all exhibit the same problems. Perhaps I have a faulty bluetooth antenna?

I've also had nothing but trouble with the AirPods Max's - they disconnect frequently from my Mac (and iPhone and iPad). It's so strange!

Considering my 2015 iMac's trackpad works perfectly and runs mostly silent, I've been pretty disappointed with the studio, thus far. I don't really know what the point of this post is, rather than to air a few complaints? Perhaps I have a dud machine? I'm half debating whether to send it back within the 14 day window and get refund?

I think the trackpad issue, might stem from the way Monetary controls bluetooth? It certainly seems like it's a well known issue online here and Reddit? The coil wine is also pretty well documented, by the looks of things? Apple claims the Studio is 'whisper quiet', on their 'about page' and that doesn't ring true, at all.

I've already sent the Airpod Max's back to Amazon for a full refund. I'm wondering whether to do the same with the studio and get a 14" MacBook Pro, instead? The Studio Display seems fine, so that's something, I suppose!

Thanks for reading :)

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 9:27 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 7, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Phillip J Fry

1) If the back of the Mac Studio is facing directly towards a solid reflective surface? Try changing the angle of the Mac Studio in relation to that surface and see if that helps make the whine less noticeable.

2) Poorly shielded high speed USB cables, drives and display cables can cause both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

3) In the end only Philip J Fry can make the decision to keep or return the Mac Studio.

Aug 7, 2022 4:25 PM in response to Phillip J Fry

The Studio "whine" has been reported by many but mine is very quiet. You could try an exchange and see if the new one exhibits the same noise. Not sure about your other issues. I have used a mouse and trackpad with my Studio and no issues. You may be getting bluetooth interference from some others hardware like an external drive. Try moving things around.

Aug 7, 2022 11:47 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks very much for your reply. I did think about an exchange, but I have seen others who have received new units (reddit, Macrumours) and either the new model has worse whine or very similar to the first. Of course as you say, many people are also very happy and have a quiet machine, too. Regarding the bluetooth issue - it started immediately when I had nothing else on my desk plugged in, at all. I've tried two other trackpads and a Magic Mouse and they both exhibit the same issues, on the Mac studio. When I connect them to my 2015 iMac, they run smoothly, as I expected. So I guess I either have a faulty bluetooth module or Monetary really dud change the behaviour of trackpads? Thanks! :)

Aug 7, 2022 11:53 PM in response to den.thed

1) Thanks very much for your reply. The studio and display are at an angle, similar to the right hand illustration. The Studio is approx about 24 cm, away from the wall.

2) Thanks - I've played about with turning the majority of my other devices off - the bluetooth issue started immediately with the trackpad when I had nothing else connected to the Mac Studio. However, the trackpads all work fine on my iMac (which can only be upgraded to Mac OS Big Sur). I've shut off my wi-fi, iMac, iPhone, Mac etc, etc, and nothing has changed.

3) Haha! Very true - thanks for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Aug 10, 2022 12:14 PM in response to Phillip J Fry

Hey all! I just thought I'd give an update on my Mac Studio saga. I couldn't get the bluetooth to work properly at all, despite moving other devices, turning everything else off and faffing for ages. The 'whine' got worse and I noticed the Studio Display had a buzzing at the back, too. It seems these are both pretty widely reported issues, sadly.

I've ended up sending it all back for refund: Mac Studio, Studio Display, Magic Keyboard, Trackpad and AirPods Pro's.... none of them worked correctly, which is massive shame. I'm now back on my Retina 5k 2014 Mac and honestly, it's fine. The display is just as good as the Studio Display, it still feels fairly fast and most importantly, it's pretty much silent.

I'm wondering now wondering about going for an iMac 24, with 16gb - it's far cheaper than the studio. I'll have a think - it's a shame the Studio didn't work out, but I'm mildly relieved, since it cost a small fortune! ;-D

Anyway, thanks for your help folks :)

Brand New Mac Studio Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.