Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air

The new M2 Macbook Air with the 256G SSD only uses 1 of the slots for the SSD. Does the 1TB configuration only use one of the slots or two? I know the 256G SSD has lower performance than the 512G because it only uses one of the Slots..., So I want to buy the 1TB, but I want the performance of having it use both slots as like in Slot 1 = 512G, Slot 2 = 512G... Not Slot 1 = 1TB. - Thanks Jim

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 8:20 PM

Hi,

That storage performance hit only applies to the 256GB base model. I can't say for sure that the 1TB uses two chips, but read the following to see an actual performance comparison between the 256GB and 1TB model; the 1TB is twice as fast in both read and write (scroll down to "MacBook Air (M2) disk speed comparison"): https://www.macworld.com/article/820921/m2-macbook-air-performance-cpu-gpu-ssd.html.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 8:20 PM in response to jrh69

Hi,

That storage performance hit only applies to the 256GB base model. I can't say for sure that the 1TB uses two chips, but read the following to see an actual performance comparison between the 256GB and 1TB model; the 1TB is twice as fast in both read and write (scroll down to "MacBook Air (M2) disk speed comparison"): https://www.macworld.com/article/820921/m2-macbook-air-performance-cpu-gpu-ssd.html.

Sep 4, 2022 6:32 PM in response to tjk

I did read the article. Thanks for sending it. So, what your saying is that all of the analysis about the 256GB model being slower isn't because it uses one slot, it's because it runs at a lower bandwidth? Or that if it's the single slot 1TB card, it has better performance than the 256GB because it uses a higher bandwidth so that's why it does not matter if it's one or two slots?

Sep 4, 2022 7:28 PM in response to jrh69

I'm not a storage chip designer/engineer, I don't know the technical details of why, IF the 1TB configuration also uses one chip, it's 50% faster, I just know that there are plenty of benchmarks out there proving it is. In the end, isn't that what you want, the top speed, no matter the number of chips?

Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.