Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not in chronological order under imports

I recently bought a new iMac running Monterey that only has USB-C ports. Since I do not have for the moment a USB-C to USB mini-B cable to connect my DSLR camera to my new Mac and since the iMac doesn't have integrated SD card reader, what I did was to import my photos via the card reader to my old iMAC running Catalina, then in Photos of my old iMAC library to "export to original" all those new photos and transfer them via a network to my new iMAC.

The problem is when I import those photos to the Photo library of my new iMac, under imports in the latest imported Photos, those do not appear in chronological order. All photos have correct date and time if I look at the info, and they are photos from different times over the last couple of years. However I do not see them in correct order in imports which makes it difficult for me to organize them in albums.

In the whole photo library of the Photos they do appear in the right order, but this doesn't help me since they are mixed with other photos already imported from the same events, so it is difficult for me to identify what is new and what is old in order to organize them into albums.

I do not think it is a time zone thing since as I said photos are from different months, even years and still out of order and mixed in imports.

Any idea what I could do to fix that issue?

Thanks in advance

iMac

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 2:49 AM

The Imports album is not supposed to be sorted chronologically by the date the photo has been taken. It is automatically sorted by the date the photo has been added to Photos, which is not necessarily the same.

To see the recently imported photos sorted chronologically, you could use a smart album and sort this album chronologically, for example:

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the smart rule to "Date added is within the last ... days"

You will find all recently imported photos in this new smart album. Then, while viewing this new album, go to the View menu and set the sort order to sort the photos by date.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 2:49 AM in response to kostis6

The Imports album is not supposed to be sorted chronologically by the date the photo has been taken. It is automatically sorted by the date the photo has been added to Photos, which is not necessarily the same.

To see the recently imported photos sorted chronologically, you could use a smart album and sort this album chronologically, for example:

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the smart rule to "Date added is within the last ... days"

You will find all recently imported photos in this new smart album. Then, while viewing this new album, go to the View menu and set the sort order to sort the photos by date.

Photos not in chronological order under imports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.