Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not working and messing up my photos manual order

Hello,

Sorry for the venting, i've tried to put off switching from Iphotos to Photos for as long as i could but now i can't update my mac to Ventura because iPhotos isn't supported there. My problem is that Photos is being a real *****. I have literally hundred of thousands of photos with comics and books so you guess the order of my pics is pretty **** important. However when i transfer my library to Photos, they all come completely jumbled up within my albums. I can get individual albums to transfer to one library with their original order but whenever i try to merge or add another album it comes in as a mess. I've resigned myself to sorting the photos manually but the drag and drop function sometimes just mess up the order as well. Clicking on a random photo sometimes only show me the top photos of the album. I can't believe it's been all these years and Photos is still inferior to iPhotos in term of management. They don't even have a manual sorting setting!

My questions are:

• Is there a way to transfer my iPhoto library to Photos without messing up the order of the pics in my album? I use PowerPhoto to do that.

• What is happening with drag and drop and display in Photos? If i have to spend hours reorganising everything manually, how do i do it?

• Is there any other photos management software for Mac that can give me all the functionality from iPhotos like albums, manual sorting, titles appearing and, most importantly, allow me to import pics from iPhotos with their original order intact.

Really thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 1:53 PM

How did you transfer the iPhoto library to Photos? If you're running Monterey or earlier you just open the iPhoto Library with Photos and it will be migrated to the Photos library and all should be the same as before.

The following screenshot shows the various views and the sorting options for those views:

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 1:53 PM in response to césar51

How did you transfer the iPhoto library to Photos? If you're running Monterey or earlier you just open the iPhoto Library with Photos and it will be migrated to the Photos library and all should be the same as before.

The following screenshot shows the various views and the sorting options for those views:

Mar 4, 2023 6:10 AM in response to césar51

Alternatives to Photos include - but not limited to:

Mylio

Lightroom CC

Lightroom Classic

NeoFinder

On1 Photo Raw

Exposure 7

Photo Supreme

All of these are capable photo managers. All, except PhotoSupreme and NeoFinder, include editing to some degree. You can also use the Finder to organise your material, and manage that with Graphic Converter.

You mention books and comics. I wonder if these items would be best managed in apps like Calibre or DevonThink

All of these (except Calibre) require payment.

Mar 4, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

thanks for the list. As for books and comics i know it's not the best program but it's the one i've been using and i'm looking for an app that centralises everything and is somewhat similar. My question would be if any of those listed actually keep the order of photos when you transfer them from iPhotos to the new app. The best thing would be to actually get photos to work but that's unlikely.

Mar 4, 2023 8:19 AM in response to césar51

From what you say check out Neo Finder. It's designed to catalogue a variety of types of data. But maybe remember that an app that is designed for photographs is not going to work well for books, and vice versa, and ditto with comics.

I'm not sure what would be preserved migrating. For that information check out their websites.

Mar 4, 2023 1:33 PM in response to césar51

Well, tried Photo Supreme, Mylio and a few of the others i could get my hands on trial versions. None seem to be able to keep the order of photos. In the end, if i gotta re sort everything manually it's better i use Photos. However, does anyone know the issue why drag and drop just mess up my photos order? Sometimes it just selects other photos or just doesn't do anything. Also, does anyone know how to merge Photos libraries or import an album without messing the order? That would be most helpful. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2023 6:12 PM in response to Old Toad

I used an app called PowerPhotos, i also tried to import from the Photos app with the same result. However your solution works! Thank you very much for this! I didn't try with my 300gb library but at least it works for several albums so it's just a question of time i imagine. Now i need to find what's wrong with my drag and drop feature on this specific app. Why it eventually messes up my pics order instead of doing what i asked for.

Photos not working and messing up my photos manual order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.