Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Add songs to Library when adding to playlists" option missing?

Hi,

I want to create playlists in iTunes without adding the songs to my library, and when I Googled, I found out about the "Add songs to Library when adding to playlists" option.

However, when I open iTunes and go to Edit > Preferences > General, that option is completely missing. In the top section where it's supposed to be, there's only my library name and an option for "Show Apple Music Features".

I'm running Windows 10 Pro v.21H2, and my iTunes version is 12.10.11.2.

I'd like to have this option available, but I'm very confused why it isn't showing up, if there are any prerequisites etc., and Google has been unhelpful.

Thanks for any assistance.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:41 AM

The feature refers to music from your Apple Music subscription, but not to music that you have purchased. As far as I can tell:

• if you own a copy of the music, you can only add to a Playlist because it is in your library. In other words, you cannot add it to a Playlist without adding it to your library
    • you can only add music to a Playlist without adding it to your library if it is part of your Apple Music subscription

As an aside, iTunes 12.10.11.2 is an outdated version of iTunes. Although I'm not aware of any changes in later versions that might affect the feature, I strongly recommended that you update your iTunes. The current version is 12.12.4.1 and it contains security features that will help protect your computer.

If you check Help/Check for Updates on the iTunes menu it will take you to the download page and lead you through the installation of the latest version.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 9:41 AM in response to midnightrhodes

The feature refers to music from your Apple Music subscription, but not to music that you have purchased. As far as I can tell:

• if you own a copy of the music, you can only add to a Playlist because it is in your library. In other words, you cannot add it to a Playlist without adding it to your library
    • you can only add music to a Playlist without adding it to your library if it is part of your Apple Music subscription

As an aside, iTunes 12.10.11.2 is an outdated version of iTunes. Although I'm not aware of any changes in later versions that might affect the feature, I strongly recommended that you update your iTunes. The current version is 12.12.4.1 and it contains security features that will help protect your computer.

If you check Help/Check for Updates on the iTunes menu it will take you to the download page and lead you through the installation of the latest version.

"Add songs to Library when adding to playlists" option missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.