Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone potentially hacked...how would you know?

Hi,

My Hubby has just clicked on a link via text message on his iPhone SE (2 years old) thinking it was a missed delivery.

Apparently "Kevin" missed us and it said to rearrange delivery click on the link which was supposedly for Evri but ended with a .ru domain and the text was from what looked like another phone number.

I was too late, he's already clicked the link and although the page didn't load fully and he closed it, he still clicked the link.

Is there a way to see if his phone has been hacked? He doesn't seem bothered but he's got banking apps on there and all sorts and I'm bothered! I'm worried "Kevin" is going to get into bank accounts, use data and maybe use the number to ring and text other people!!!!! I've said do a factory reset but he's refusing as he can't remember his passwords for different things.

Please can anyone tell me if there's a way to check if an iPhone has been hacked without doing a factory reset?

Thanks.

iPhone SE (Gen 3)

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:35 AM

Hello ~ Did he provide any personal details? Just to allay your concerns take a look here…

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

You can also change the Apple ID password if you like.

~Katana-San~

14 replies

Aug 8, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Mrwhippet

Mrwhippet wrote:

Thanks. So clicking these links via text doesn't download viruses then? (Please be kind if that sounds thick, I'm learning!!)

There are currently no viruses that will affect an iPhone unless it has been jailbroken. So, as long as you don't do that, and don't give random websites private information. You should be fine.

And great job recognizing that it was a scam, by the way!

iPhone potentially hacked...how would you know?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.