Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft office not working on new MacBook

I just got a new 14" MacBook Pro for work (my current 15" is acting up, so my company got me the new computer). I did a Time Machine migration, and everything seemed to work okay EXCEPT Microsoft Office -- I use Excel 4-6 hours/day, so I need it to work. Excel and One Note did not work, but strangely Word did.

I tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft site -- deleting files, etc, all the way to uninstalling and reinstalling everything. The installation "failed", icons showed up in the Applications folder, but now NONE of them work. All immediately crash when I try to open them (see full Excel crash report below)

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I revert to factory settings on the new MacBook and try to install from back up again?

I'm technically oriented enough to delete files and do installations, but that's about it.

HELP!

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 10:16 PM

What version of Office? If you have an unlimited license for an older version, there may not be anything that works. Especially not if it's a version only compatible with Intel Macs but not with Apple Silicon. For example, I had a copy of Microsoft Office (2008 Personal/Student version I recall) and it didn't work on a new Mac with Setup Assistant transferring over all application executables.

You might need Office 365, which is only subscription based.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 10:16 PM in response to tane419

What version of Office? If you have an unlimited license for an older version, there may not be anything that works. Especially not if it's a version only compatible with Intel Macs but not with Apple Silicon. For example, I had a copy of Microsoft Office (2008 Personal/Student version I recall) and it didn't work on a new Mac with Setup Assistant transferring over all application executables.

You might need Office 365, which is only subscription based.

Aug 9, 2022 12:04 AM in response to tane419

tane419 wrote:

hmm... I think the version I was using is 2016. think I have Office 365 (thru our company), but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to double check with the person who handles. We are a small company, so everyone is their own IT department.

But thanks for the tip. I'll double check what I have tomorrow

If you have Office 365, that should give you access to install Office on up to 5 different devices. However, they have some sort of way to figure out how many of the "seats" are being used. When I had it I tried installing on an iPad, although it was really tough using it. I think it's OK when used with a keyboard.

Microsoft office not working on new MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.