Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MS words not working on new Macbook Air

I transferred all data fr.om an old Mac to a new one (Macbook Air 2023) and everything seemed to be in order. Yesterday, however, I discovered that MS Word (Office 365) crashes all the time and cannot be used. At first it opens, but when I click on the file and try to write, colored cursor wheel starts spinning and I can't do anything. There is no other option but to force quit Word. This happens to new blank Word fail and to old transferred Word files. I have checked for updates (MS Office programmes are up to date), I reinstalled Word, tried to look guidelines from web and I tried the suggested solutions, but so far nothing has helped to resolve this issue. What would help? On old Mac all Word files work perfectly and with other MS programmes (Excel, PowerPoint) there is no such problem. Please help!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 1:48 PM

My first inclination would be to uninstall MS Office from your new Mac. I realize you said you'd tried reinstalling Word, but it's entirely possible you didn't follow the guidelines posted by Microsoft Support Here to uninstall prior to reinstalling.

I would also ask if you've installed any anti-virus, "cleaner", or "optimizer" software on your new MacBook Air. If so, use their respective uninstaller to completely eradicate them....they simply cause more problems than they prevent.

Next I'd ask if you've updated the MacOS on your new MB Air? Please do so if you haven't.

Next I'd recommend going to the Mac App Store and downloading/installing MS Office 365 from there. (This will ensure you install the correct version of the apps).

Please post back here after you've worked thru the above suggestions, and I'll be happy to provide more assistance if needed.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 1:48 PM in response to VHKVHH

My first inclination would be to uninstall MS Office from your new Mac. I realize you said you'd tried reinstalling Word, but it's entirely possible you didn't follow the guidelines posted by Microsoft Support Here to uninstall prior to reinstalling.

I would also ask if you've installed any anti-virus, "cleaner", or "optimizer" software on your new MacBook Air. If so, use their respective uninstaller to completely eradicate them....they simply cause more problems than they prevent.

Next I'd ask if you've updated the MacOS on your new MB Air? Please do so if you haven't.

Next I'd recommend going to the Mac App Store and downloading/installing MS Office 365 from there. (This will ensure you install the correct version of the apps).

Please post back here after you've worked thru the above suggestions, and I'll be happy to provide more assistance if needed.

MS words not working on new Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.