Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac cursor stuck - tried 3 mice - same problem

So my cursor is stuck.....if i move my mouse quickly it does jerk around a little bit, but it quickly goes back to its favourite place currently just above the dock at the bottom.

My mouse is a magic mouse. So I plugged in a spare Apple USB mouse....same problem.

I then forced a shutdown and started up the mac again....the problem persists.

I then tried holding down Command + Option + Escape to see if any applications were causing the problem and needed a Force Quit. Seemed to be no problems but I quit everything one by one and then forced shutdown again.

The problem is still there. So I borrowed my girlfriend's mouse just to be super certain... but yes, it's still persisting so I know it's not a mouse issue...it's something else.

Any ideas?

I'd like to try using Team Viewer or suchlike so that I can use my Macbook Pro to access the iMac...but obviously I can't access Team Viewer on the iMac to allow permission. I can't do anything with the iMac at all. Is there any way I can use my MacBook Pro to help me?

Completely stumped....any help appreciated.

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM

Oh man...I know what the problem is...I have a Pen Tablet...and the pen had fallen on to the tablet, out of my eyesight behind another piece of gear....so I couldn't see it. The tip must have been close enough to the tablet to make it think it was trying to contact it...duuuuuh.

Sorry peeps. And if anyone else is seeing this and has a tablet....check there first!!! :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM in response to Mal-S

Oh man...I know what the problem is...I have a Pen Tablet...and the pen had fallen on to the tablet, out of my eyesight behind another piece of gear....so I couldn't see it. The tip must have been close enough to the tablet to make it think it was trying to contact it...duuuuuh.

Sorry peeps. And if anyone else is seeing this and has a tablet....check there first!!! :)

Aug 9, 2022 1:42 PM in response to Mal-S

Thanks Mal-S.

So I restarted in Safe Mode. Very interesting. The cursor DOES want to go back to that spot just above the dock...but it takes around 3 to 4 seconds now, rather than a fraction of a second....meaning I had time to go to the start menu and restart using the mouse rather than forcing shutdown...before it shot back to the place where it seems to want to be. Very odd.

But anyway, when I then restarted the cursor was back to hanging out just above the dock and didn't seem to want to leave there. This time it can only move an inch or so away from the point that it seems fixed to...so I can only force a shutdown.

Any more advice most welcome.

iMac cursor stuck - tried 3 mice - same problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.