Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spyware, Re-occuring breach?

Greetings. Here's my sad saga-

I have a business checking account. Four days ago, received notifications that Zelle was authorized and 10 payments of $100 each were sent to recipient. In addition, contact info, log-in info and address were changed, thus I could not log-in. Contacted the bank's fraud department and basically they shut down the account, issued new account number, new log-in, etc. Everything seemed ok for 2 days and then the EXACT same thing happened again, except we were able to stop it after 2 payments of $100 each.

Bank thinks it's my 2016 MacBook pro that's been hacked or some such. All they can do is repeat the shut down/issue new account #, etc. and all they suggest is to run virus/spyware program. I've run Malwarebytes, which says I'm clean. I generally run Mozilla VPN, but not always. Today I upgraded to OS Monterey.

Any ideas as to what is happening, how to stop???

Thx

Robert

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 6:16 AM

r.dufort wrote:

I have a business checking account. Four days ago, received notifications that Zelle was authorized and 10 payments of $100 each were sent to recipient. In addition, contact info, log-in info and address were changed, thus I could not log-in. Contacted the bank's fraud department and basically they shut down the account, issued new account number, new log-in, etc. Everything seemed ok for 2 days and then the EXACT same thing happened again, except we were able to stop it after 2 payments of $100 each.

Bank thinks it's my 2016 MacBook pro that's been hacked or some such. All they can do is repeat the shut down/issue new account #, etc. and all they suggest is to run virus/spyware program. I've run Malwarebytes, which says I'm clean. I generally run Mozilla VPN, but not always. Today I upgraded to OS Monterey.

Thx
Robert

Maybe you should reconsider using Zelle if you have an ongoing issue.

I can erase/ reformat/ initialize the drive as new— reinstall the macOS.

Test in this new environment ....before you restore the user account.

If you have breach/theft I would contact the police.

Erase all content and settings on Mac

Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 6:16 AM in response to r.dufort

r.dufort wrote:

Thx
Robert

Maybe you should reconsider using Zelle if you have an ongoing issue.

I can erase/ reformat/ initialize the drive as new— reinstall the macOS.

Test in this new environment ....before you restore the user account.

If you have breach/theft I would contact the police.

Erase all content and settings on Mac

Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Aug 10, 2022 7:15 AM in response to r.dufort

r.dufort wrote:

Banks will always tell you that. Part of it is that they're used to dealing with people who have Windows, part of it is that they generally have some sort of deal with an anti-virus software company to sell you things. And, part of it may be as a way to deflect from possible security breaches in their systems.

If, after you erase and re-format your computer, it happens again, I'd forcefully make a case with the bank that it's not your computer. I would document every mitigation step you take.

Spyware, Re-occuring breach?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.