Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement for Time Capsule and use of AT&T U-Verse router

We currently have a 2017 iMac and a 2017 Apple MacBook Pro.  We will be getting a new 1 TB iMac and it will replace the 2017 iMac.  We like the iMac not because we are doing highly complex computing but because we have a large photo library and because we prefer the ergonomics of a desk top configuration.  Other than the photos, we use the computers for word processing, an occasional Excel spreadsheet, a family history database and internet searching—no games, etc.

Our internet service provider is AT&T U-Verse and we recently upgraded to fiber optic service.  We are currently using a 2 TB Time Capsule (also 2017 vintage) as our router.  The Time Capsule is connected to the iMac via an ethernet cable so that we have a non-wireless internet connection and so we can use it for non-wireless Time Machine backups.  We also use Time Machine to back up the MacBook via wifi to the Time Capsule, using AirPort Utility.

From reading many postings on the Apple Community site and elsewhere, we know that Time Capsules are no longer made and that there is no substitute that can function as simply as both backup device and router.  Like many others, we are hugely disappointed about that, but given the age of our Time Capsule, it seems smart to us to replace it now rather than wait for future problems.

We want the simplest solution that also is as reliable as possible.  We are not computer wizards and do not enjoy tackling technological complexities.  We try to inform ourselves about possibilities so that we can begin to understand potential solutions but we still need straightforward, non-technical step by step instructions. 

From our reading, it seems like using the AT&T Gateway as our router makes the most sense.  But we have no idea how to make that switch—or whether to try to do it before the new iMac arrives.  It seems likely it will involve using the AT&T website so perhaps using the old iMac which is already successfully hooked up to the internet would be a good idea--?

As for Time Machine backups, it appears that we will need to purchase an external hard drive which can be directly connected to the iMac since we prefer not to back up the iMac wirelessly.  The MacBook doesn’t do a lot of travelling but it does move from room to room and we have relied on backups occurring without our having to think about them so connecting and disconnecting the hard drive is not an optimal solution.  We could do that but wireless would be better.

Would it be possible to use the external hard drive which is connected to the iMac to backup both devices?  One with a wired connection and one wirelessly?  Some sources make it appear that the only way to backup wirelessly is with something called an NAS—and reading about them defeated and intimidated us.  They are not the simple solution we are seeking.

Our guess is that we would need two external hard drives—one for the iMac and one for the MacBook.  We understand that a 1TB iMac needs at least a 2TB backup device but some sources seem to say that bigger is better--??   The MacBook is 256GB—so how big does the hard drive need to be?

For simplicity’s sake, one that is pre-formatted for Mac would be best.

Somewhere I thought I saw something about external hard drives with their own power source were better?  Faster? But there don’t seem to be any such listed on the lists of “bests” that I have seen online--???

Suggestions for best choices?  And why?  We are less concerned with price than with simplicity and reliability.

Other thoughts about issues we haven’t thought of?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 7:02 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 28, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Medley

Medley wrote:

From our reading, it seems like using the AT&T Gateway as our router makes the most sense.  But we have no idea how to make that switch—or whether to try to do it before the new iMac arrives.  It seems likely it will involve using the AT&T website so perhaps using the old iMac which is already successfully hooked up to the internet would be a good idea--?

No doubt the simplest solution is to replace the Time Capsule with the new gateway (combination modem & wireless router) offered (& supported) by AT&T. As a minimum, an AT&T Technician should be installing this new gateway and verifying that it is providing you both a wired & wireless access to the Internet.

Non-Apple routers typically use a web-based administrator interface which you would access with a web browser on your Mac or smart phones. Whether or not, AT&T will provide you will full access to this gateway, you would need to confirm with the technician.

As far as making the switch, you would need to decide, whether or not, you want to retain using the Time Capsule (TC) for Time Machine (TM) backups. If you do, it can still be incorporated with your new gateway. If not, then you will need to look at other solutions for a TM backup drive. We can go into more details, depending on your answer here.

Would it be possible to use the external hard drive which is connected to the iMac to backup both devices?  One with a wired connection and one wirelessly?

Yes, but it may not be as convenient as the TC was. Your new iMac will most likely come with macOS Monterey. As such, it can be configured as a TM "server." To work like a TC, the iMac would have be left on 24 x 7. This is really where a NAS would be a better fit. A NAS is simply a computer with a built-in set of drives. You would simply connect it by Ethernet to your new gateway. FWIW, I have been using a Synology NAS for this purpose since 2018 when I learned Apple decided to exit the networking hardware business. Granted a NAS take a bit of effort to initially set up for Time Machine, but once done, it's pretty much a done deal.

One disadvantage of using a single external drive for backups of multiple devices is that should it fail you will lose those backups for both devices. Of course, that would be true of the TC, as well. However, again a NAS (which has multiple drives) would have a much better chance of recovering any single drive failure.

Our guess is that we would need two external hard drives—one for the iMac and one for the MacBook.  We understand that a 1TB iMac needs at least a 2TB backup device but some sources seem to say that bigger is better--??   The MacBook is 256GB—so how big does the hard drive need to be?

Starting with the second question, the backup drive should be at least 2-3x larger than the source drive ... and to address the first: Something like two 2TB drives should do. I suggest if you go this route to look at these types of drives from a reputable vendor like Other World Computing (OWC.)

For simplicity’s sake, one that is pre-formatted for Mac would be best.

Yes, generally that would be correct. However, just be aware that Apple now is using the APFS file system on their newer computers. Prior to macOS High Sierra, it was HFS+. TM works "best" when both the source and destination drives are formatted the same. So, if you have newer Macs, that would be APFS. Regardless, you would just use the Disk Utility to format those drives should they come with the "incorrect" format.

Somewhere I thought I saw something about external hard drives with their own power source were better?  Faster? But there don’t seem to be any such listed on the lists of “bests” that I have seen online--???

In this use case, that would be correct. Bus-powered portable external drives are designed for convenience ... especially when travelling. You will want a self-powered drive for backups.

Suggestions for best choices?  And why?  We are less concerned with price than with simplicity and reliability.

Again, I would go with OWC. One suggestion would be their ThunderBay 4 mini model since you would be connecting it to your new iMac.

Aug 29, 2022 7:04 AM in response to Medley

Hello Tesserax,

Thank you for such a thorough reply. It seems that my question somehow got posted both in the Time Capsule threads and in the iMac threads so you had actually also responded to me there earlier in the month. So thank you for both and sorry for the confusion which was doubtless due to something I inadvertently did.

Since we already had the AT&T Gateway installed there was little likelihood that a technician would return to help us make the switch but a very helpful phone conversation with them told us that switching from the Time Capsule as router to the Gateway was as simple as joining a network when staying in a hotel. The name of the AT&T Network appears in the list of possible networks and you just joinit, using the password provided when it was installed--and disconnect the Time Capsule. We did that and it seems to work although we are not totally happy with the wifi connection throughout our house which is quite small. The old Time Capsule had no trouble getting the signal to the other rooms but occasionally we are having problems with an iPad and iPhones. We are keeping track of the issues and realize we will need to again contact AT&T for advice but at this point we are trying to move on the things other than computers!

As for the TM backup drives, we ended up getting an OWC Mercury Pro Elite for the iMac and a LaCie portable drive for the laptop. We connected each of them and with a little hesitation about what exactly to do, we got them both connected and formatted. So far so good--they seem to be working.

I turn the iMac off each night and have wondered if I should also turn off the OWC Mercury Pro Elite. I know I would have to remember to turn it on when the iMac is on but wondered if it would turning it off would prolong its life or be otherwise "healthier" for it. This wasn't an issue with the Time Capsule since it was the router and needed to be on 24/7. Just another reason I miss the simplicity of earlier setups!

Again thanks very much for the good answers.

Replacement for Time Capsule and use of AT&T U-Verse router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.