Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backups without using Time Capsule for new iMac

We currently have a 2017 iMac and a 2017 Apple MacBook Pro.  We will be getting a new 1 TB iMac and it will replace the 2017 iMac.  We like the iMac not because we are doing highly complex computing but because we have a large photo library and because we prefer the ergonomics of a desk top configuration.  Other than the photos, we use the computers for word processing, an occasional Excel spreadsheet, a family history database and internet searching—no games, etc.

Our internet service provider is AT&T U-Verse and we recently upgraded to fiber optic service.  We are currently using a 2 TB Time Capsule (also 2017 vintage) as our router.  The Time Capsule is connected to the iMac via an ethernet cable so that we have a non-wireless internet connection and so we can use it for non-wireless Time Machine backups.  We also use Time Machine to back up the MacBook via wifi to the Time Capsule, using AirPort Utility.

From reading many postings on the Apple Community site and elsewhere, we know that Time Capsules are no longer made and that there is no substitute that can function as simply as both backup device and router.  Like many others, we are hugely disappointed about that, but given the age of our Time Capsule, it seems smart to us to replace it now rather than wait for future problems.

We want the simplest solution that also is as reliable as possible.  We are not computer wizards and do not enjoy tackling technological complexities.  We try to inform ourselves about possibilities so that we can begin to understand potential solutions but we still need straightforward, non-technical step by step instructions. 

From our reading, it seems like using the AT&T Gateway as our router makes the most sense.  But we have no idea how to make that switch—or whether to try to do it before the new iMac arrives.  It seems likely it will involve using the AT&T website so perhaps using the old iMac which is already successfully hooked up to the internet would be a good idea--?

As for Time Machine backups, it appears that we will need to purchase an external hard drive which can be directly connected to the iMac since we prefer not to back up the iMac wirelessly.  The MacBook doesn’t do a lot of travelling but it does move from room to room and we have relied on backups occurring without our having to think about them so connecting and disconnecting the hard drive is not an optimal solution.  We could do that but wireless would be better.

Would it be possible to use the external hard drive which is connected to the iMac to backup both devices?  One with a wired connection and one wirelessly?  Some sources make it appear that the only way to backup wirelessly is with something called an NAS—and reading about them defeated and intimidated us.  They are not the simple solution we are seeking.

Our guess is that we would need two external hard drives—one for the iMac and one for the MacBook.  We understand that a 1TB iMac needs at least a 2TB backup device but some sources seem to say that bigger is better--??   The MacBook is 256GB—so how big does the hard drive need to be?

For simplicity’s sake, one that is pre-formatted for Mac would be best.

Somewhere I thought I saw something about external hard drives with their own power source were better?  Faster? But there don’t seem to be any such listed on the lists of “bests” that I have seen online--???

Suggestions for best choices?  And why?  We are less concerned with price than with simplicity and reliability.

Other thoughts about issues we haven’t thought of?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

P.S. I posted this question earlier today but am not sure I did it successfully so am trying again--sorry if it is a repeat

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM

Medley wrote:

From our reading, it seems like using the AT&T Gateway as our router makes the most sense.  But we have no idea how to make that switch—or whether to try to do it before the new iMac arrives.

Since you are using AT&T fiber service, I would suggest that you use a gateway (combination modem & router) that AT&T supports with their service. AT&T should offer having a technician arrive at your home to set it up and verify that you are getting Internet service. If you only need a single gateway and no additional networking hardware beyond that, you should be set. Connecting your home devices to that gateway would be as simple as you are currently doing now with the Time Capsule.

As for Time Machine backups, it appears that we will need to purchase an external hard drive which can be directly connected to the iMac since we prefer not to back up the iMac wirelessly.

This is where you will have a number of options to consider. One key element, is that you don't want to have a "single point of failure" for backing up all of your Macs. You will want to consider using a multi-tiered backup strategy, especially if your data is critical to you.

I wrote up a user tip on this topic that you may find helpful in making your decision on what strategy will work best for you.

Ref: macOS Backup Strategy - Apple Community

Typically, when you want to back up more than one Mac, having a dedicated storage device is the "simplest" solution. This is really where a NAS would shine. Albeit, not what you wanted to hear. The key here is that whatever device you use, it should be dedicated (think of running 24x7x365) so that Time Machine will work as designed to make incremental backups.

Yes, you can dedicate a Mac notebook for this purpose, but a desktop would be better. With the latest versions of macOS, you can configure that device to be a Time Machine backup destination for all of your wired or wireless networked Macs. In this case, you can directly attach a USB (better still a Thunderbolt) external drive to that Mac.

One style, that I would suggest, would be an external drive enclosure that can hold 2 or more HDDs. Other World Computing (OWC) is a great source for these. You can purchase them pre-configured with drives, or add your own. For Time Machine, you will want at least 2 -3x the storage space as each of the Macs you will want to back up. For an example, if you have 3 Macs, each with a 1 TB internal drive, you will want to get a total of 6 - 9 TBs of storage to hold those backups.

FWIW. Using a NAS, which is basically a computer with a number of built-in drives, would eliminate the requirement for a dedicated Mac for this purpose. When I first learned that Apple was going to stop making Time Capsules, I invested in getting a Synology NAS device. They not only support Time Machine, but have many other very useful features ... like performing as a media server.

Anyway, if there is any additional information or assistance with this, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help each other with using their Apple products.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Medley

Medley wrote:

From our reading, it seems like using the AT&T Gateway as our router makes the most sense.  But we have no idea how to make that switch—or whether to try to do it before the new iMac arrives.

Since you are using AT&T fiber service, I would suggest that you use a gateway (combination modem & router) that AT&T supports with their service. AT&T should offer having a technician arrive at your home to set it up and verify that you are getting Internet service. If you only need a single gateway and no additional networking hardware beyond that, you should be set. Connecting your home devices to that gateway would be as simple as you are currently doing now with the Time Capsule.

As for Time Machine backups, it appears that we will need to purchase an external hard drive which can be directly connected to the iMac since we prefer not to back up the iMac wirelessly.

This is where you will have a number of options to consider. One key element, is that you don't want to have a "single point of failure" for backing up all of your Macs. You will want to consider using a multi-tiered backup strategy, especially if your data is critical to you.

I wrote up a user tip on this topic that you may find helpful in making your decision on what strategy will work best for you.

Ref: macOS Backup Strategy - Apple Community

Typically, when you want to back up more than one Mac, having a dedicated storage device is the "simplest" solution. This is really where a NAS would shine. Albeit, not what you wanted to hear. The key here is that whatever device you use, it should be dedicated (think of running 24x7x365) so that Time Machine will work as designed to make incremental backups.

Yes, you can dedicate a Mac notebook for this purpose, but a desktop would be better. With the latest versions of macOS, you can configure that device to be a Time Machine backup destination for all of your wired or wireless networked Macs. In this case, you can directly attach a USB (better still a Thunderbolt) external drive to that Mac.

One style, that I would suggest, would be an external drive enclosure that can hold 2 or more HDDs. Other World Computing (OWC) is a great source for these. You can purchase them pre-configured with drives, or add your own. For Time Machine, you will want at least 2 -3x the storage space as each of the Macs you will want to back up. For an example, if you have 3 Macs, each with a 1 TB internal drive, you will want to get a total of 6 - 9 TBs of storage to hold those backups.

FWIW. Using a NAS, which is basically a computer with a number of built-in drives, would eliminate the requirement for a dedicated Mac for this purpose. When I first learned that Apple was going to stop making Time Capsules, I invested in getting a Synology NAS device. They not only support Time Machine, but have many other very useful features ... like performing as a media server.

Anyway, if there is any additional information or assistance with this, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help each other with using their Apple products.

Aug 11, 2022 5:24 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  

I really am not interested in tackling more complex backup devices than a simple external drive.  I just want to be able to plug something in and have it work.

So right now I am trying to figure out what external drive to buy to use for Time Machine backups when my new iMac arrives.  Someone at a reputable online store recommended the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2.  I like the idea of SSD as more reliable—but when I looked at the pictures and read the reviews, it appears to me that the cable it comes with is very short and some say stiff—really designed for use with a laptop.  I do not want the drive to dangle from the back of the iMac.  Most of the HDD drives also seem to be designed with laptops in mind.

The store suggested purchasing a longer cable and recommended the OWC Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C Male Cable which comes in a 2.3’ or 3.8’ version.  Will a longer cable make any difference in speed and reliability?  Some reviews say people had problems when they did not use the short cable it comes with.

Thanks for any insights!

Aug 11, 2022 6:59 PM in response to Medley

Presently, HDDs are better suited for backup destinations over SDDs, for a number of reasons. Time Machine was designed to work "best" with HDDs, formatted in HFS+. The newer Apple APFS protocol is better suited for SSDs.

... so, my suggestion is to still go with an external HDD drive in a powered-enclosure. Again, I think OWC has some good choices here. Something like their OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual.

I believe the cable length issue is related to Thunderbolt, not USB-C. For Time Machine, you do not need a "speedy" connection ... so Thunderbolt is not a critical choice at this point.

Aug 11, 2022 7:29 PM in response to Medley

For an External Hard Disk to use for Time Machine, many experienced users prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro. The reason is they cost is reasonable, they are dead reliable, setup is simple and the service from the vendor is excellent.

The capacity of the External Hard Disk you need depends on about how much is stored on your internal drive, it is wise to get an External Hard Disk with capacity of 2-3 x the amount stored on the computer. For example if your 1 TB drive has about 500GB, then get a 2TB drive and you will be fine.

Setting it up is simple, if you have a new iMac that only has USB C connections buy a USB C to USB B adapter, these are available for <$10 on Amazon. Plug in the new External Hard Disk, power it up, then open Disk Utility and erase the drive and set the format to APFS (name the drive Time Machine Backup) and once the formatting is completed (about 30 seconds), then open Time Machine Preferences, select the new Time Machine Backup drive and you are in business.

Spending money on a SSD to be a Time Machine backup drive is a complete waste of money, using a spinning HD is more cost effective and after the initial backup, the backups are generally pretty fast.

Aug 12, 2022 7:34 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you both very much for the helpful responses—every piece of new information helps.  It is is good to know that Time Machine works best with HDD’s and with the HFS+ format--and that cable length is likely related to Thunderbolt.  

I did a search of OWC Mercury Elite Pro in the Apple Community site and can see that a number of people recommend them.  The OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual looks larger than I’d like so I am looking more closely at the OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

rkaufman87 says I’d need a USB C to USB B adapter.  The specs on the OWC website refers to using a USB-C to USB-A adapter.  Was “USB B” a typo or am I not understanding something?

I was surprised that since the new iMacs have only USB C ports that OWC was still using older technology.  Am I losing anything significant by needing to use an adapter?

The OWC site does not indicate how long the cable is that would go from the HDD to the iMac.  Given its size, I’d need to put it about 4 feet away.  How long is the cable? 

Also I was confused on the OWC site to see that under Compatibility & Installation Videos, the latest iMac they list is one from 2019.  My new one will be 2021.  Is there an issue here that I need to be concerned about?

Again thanks very much for your help and experience.  This is hard work!!

Aug 12, 2022 9:35 AM in response to Medley

Medley wrote:

rkaufman87 says I’d need a USB C to USB B adapter.  The specs on the OWC website refers to using a USB-C to USB-A adapter.  Was “USB B” a typo or am I not understanding something?

I would guess that USB-A is what he meant. USB-B did not see much general use, except with some printer models.

I was surprised that since the new iMacs have only USB C ports that OWC was still using older technology.  Am I losing anything significant by needing to use an adapter?

You shouldn't be as USB-A is still the predominate type used still today. Of course, eventually, USB-C (or some newer standard) will prevail in the long run.

The OWC site does not indicate how long the cable is that would go from the HDD to the iMac.  Given its size, I’d need to put it about 4 feet away.  How long is the cable? 

Also I was confused on the OWC site to see that under Compatibility & Installation Videos, the latest iMac they list is one from 2019.  My new one will be 2021.  Is there an issue here that I need to be concerned about?

The simple answer here is to call them and ask them these questions. The OWC folks are very friendly and helpful to answering any of your questions. Your 2021 iMac should not be a problem with using their external drives. They should also explain to you the advantages/disadvantages of going with Thunderbolt vs. USB-C.

Aug 12, 2022 1:44 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks again for the helpful information.

As a follow-up I wanted to let the Community know that I had an hour long "chat" with Darlene at MacSales and she was very patient, thorough and helpful. She confirmed that I needed the USB C to USB A adapter and they have them in stock. She also confirmed that my new iMac is compatible with the Mercury Elite Pro and noted that their website needs to be updated to reflect that. She confirmed that the drive comes pre-formatted and does not need to be reformatted to run Time Machine. Unfortunately, she learned that the cable is only 18" long. She found that the earlier version of the Mercury Elite Pro comes with three different 36" cables. But since it is an older model, more expensive and with only a one year warranty--and since 36" is no use to me--it was not of interest. They have no longer cable that would work and I am not interested in trying to find a third party cable.

At this point I decided that I was tired of hunting (and certainly tired of thinking!) and have ordered the newer model of the Mercury Elite Pro and will hope I can fit it on my workspace somehow. I thought it might useful to others if I posted what I have found out.

Again thank you both for your help.

Time Machine backups without using Time Capsule for new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.