Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac speed

I have an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, Late 2015. Processor 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5.)

I am running macOS Big Sur, Version 11.4

It has been slow for a long time and seems to be getting worse. Is there something I can do to speed it up? Buying a new computer right now is not in the budget, so I need to try to fix this one.

Years ago, when I had a PC, I used to defrag it once in awhile. Is there a process like that for iMacs?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me. I'm not the most technically savvy person out there.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 6:41 PM

RAM in a 2015 21.5” iMac is soldered in place and cannot be changed by even the minor deities in Mount Cupertino, so that is off the table..

what remains is doable and cost-effective: an 2.5” SATA 6 G SSD in an external usb3 enclosure set as the boot volume. You clone, not “copy,” the entire internal drive to the external, then use System Prefs > Startup Disk to set the external SSD as boot volume.

Here are the data that show what you get for your investment. Assuming you have the base mechanical hard drive Apple chose and not a Fusion hybrid option, your current drive cannot transfer data any faster than 70-80MB/sec on its best day ever.

The external SSD option with those specs (SATA 6G 2.5” SSD; USB3 external enclosure) will do 400MB/sec. That will cause a very noticeable speed increase in actual use. No opening a computer that Apple did not want opened. And the external will serve as additional storage on your next computer.

⚠️ First check to see if you have a Fusion drive. They can go walkabout for other reasons, and the USB external SSD will be slower than a healthy Fusion drive.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 6:41 PM in response to plainjane

RAM in a 2015 21.5” iMac is soldered in place and cannot be changed by even the minor deities in Mount Cupertino, so that is off the table..

what remains is doable and cost-effective: an 2.5” SATA 6 G SSD in an external usb3 enclosure set as the boot volume. You clone, not “copy,” the entire internal drive to the external, then use System Prefs > Startup Disk to set the external SSD as boot volume.

Here are the data that show what you get for your investment. Assuming you have the base mechanical hard drive Apple chose and not a Fusion hybrid option, your current drive cannot transfer data any faster than 70-80MB/sec on its best day ever.

The external SSD option with those specs (SATA 6G 2.5” SSD; USB3 external enclosure) will do 400MB/sec. That will cause a very noticeable speed increase in actual use. No opening a computer that Apple did not want opened. And the external will serve as additional storage on your next computer.

⚠️ First check to see if you have a Fusion drive. They can go walkabout for other reasons, and the USB external SSD will be slower than a healthy Fusion drive.

Aug 10, 2022 12:34 PM in response to plainjane

the Indexed partition that apple uses for drive formats does not need to be defragged nor should it be defragged by the user. FWIW Solid State Drives (SSD) on Mac or Windows should not be defragged at all; the only thing it would do is decreases the R/W lifespan of the drive

You can install a solid state drive which would make a difference if you were looking to speed things up, the process for that model Mac is fairly involved. A less complicated option would be to add more RAM to the system, but the SSD would make the better difference when it comes to speed.

In the past I've used OWC/Mac Sales for parts like this, I dont work for them, I dont get a commission, but I've used them for years and they have provided me with great service and solid products.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-21.5-inch/2013-2019

I

iMac speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.