Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting Rows in Numbers

In a document of over 1000 rows, I have about 15 rows that won't sort properly. All of the other rows do. I had sent the document to an employee for some data entry and when I got the document back this problem was occurring. She doesn't know what happened. Any ideas out there? Thank you!

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 3:47 AM

Check to make sure the Data Format is the same for all the cells in the column(s) on which you are sorting.

For, example here the 1 and 2 at the bottom are Text whereas all the others are Automatic.

When I select all the cells in that column and then set the Data Format to Automatic, or to Number, then they will sort as expected.

Often a give-away for inconsistent Data Format is different alignment - Number values align right by default, while Text value align left.

SG

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 3:47 AM in response to jarfre

Check to make sure the Data Format is the same for all the cells in the column(s) on which you are sorting.

For, example here the 1 and 2 at the bottom are Text whereas all the others are Automatic.

When I select all the cells in that column and then set the Data Format to Automatic, or to Number, then they will sort as expected.

Often a give-away for inconsistent Data Format is different alignment - Number values align right by default, while Text value align left.

SG

Aug 10, 2022 4:25 PM in response to jarfre

Need more info. What type of data is in the column being sorted? What it is happening ("not sorting properly" is way too vague). My guess is there is something subtly different about the data in that column in those rows. For instance, an extraneous leading space character will make text appear to sort not properly (the space character comes before "a" so it moves to the top in an ascending sort).

Sorting Rows in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.