Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off Centre Snapping in Viewer - FCPX

I'm currently editing keyframes within the viewer of a FCPX project and as i'm making minor adjustments to my keyframes - the central snapping keeps pulling my keyframes to the centre. This is incredibly annoying and I can't seem to find any way of disabling this snapping function within the viewer.

I read on another thread that the "target button" can be used to move the snapping point within the viewer... so in theory If i could locate this button I could at least move the snapping point out of my way (as a work around)... but unfortunately I've never heard of the "target button" and cannot locate it anywhere within FCPX.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 10:03 AM

When dragging items in the viewer, the only way to temporarily turn off the "horizon"/center snapping guides (as far as I know) is to hold down the Command key. Pressing the command key should be done after clicking/selecting an object and held down while dragging the object. While an object is an "active selection" (still holding down the mouse button) you can press or release the command key as necessary to activate/de-activate the snapping guides.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 10:03 AM in response to acitonmirror

When dragging items in the viewer, the only way to temporarily turn off the "horizon"/center snapping guides (as far as I know) is to hold down the Command key. Pressing the command key should be done after clicking/selecting an object and held down while dragging the object. While an object is an "active selection" (still holding down the mouse button) you can press or release the command key as necessary to activate/de-activate the snapping guides.

Aug 11, 2022 4:35 AM in response to acitonmirror

In addition to what Tom said:

a) you may try temporarily change the Viewer magnification for added control

b) for minute changes, it may be easier to do it directly in the Inspector: click and drag the number wells up or down to adjust; hold down the option key and drag for a slower more controlled adjustment; or hold down the shift key for quicker adjustment by multiples of ten.

How to turn off Centre Snapping in Viewer - FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.