Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic keyboard

I just received a new Magic Keyboard. I'm getting a Mac Studio, but not until October. So, I'm simply trying to connect this new keyboard to my existing MacBook Pro.

It doesn't work. Nothing happens. I've tried two of the USB-C ports. The touch ID button doesn't light up.

So, I'm wondering if this thing will even work with the new Mac Studio I get in October.

Should I return it? I don't see any alternative keyboards on the website anymore. They used to sell a simple Bluetooth keyboard without the decimal keypad. I guess not anymore. This one has a decimal keypad.

My MacBook Pro is running 12.5, not 12.4 as shown below.

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 7:35 AM

12 replies

Aug 11, 2022 8:49 AM in response to pb4072

What is the model and year of your MacBook Pro?

I believe that the magic keyboard with touch id requires a fairly recent mac to work with.

If in doubt, go to the Apple menu and choose About this Mac.

It will tell you the year (as in "early 2015" or "mid 2019" or whatnot).

EDIT: it appears that this keyboard requires an Apple Silicon mac (i.e. a mac with M1 chip or better).

Aug 11, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

dialabrain wrote:

FWIW, I believe that's just to support Touch ID. The rest of the keyboard should work.

You may be right.
The purchase page at Apple, however, says that the requirements are a Mac with Apple Silicon, and running at least macOS 11.4.

I know. I believe the requirements are for Touch ID to work. I suppose I could purchase one and test my theory, then return it within 14 days. 😎

Magic keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.