Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Connection to Two iMacs

I hope my questions is easy to understand because I am to too sure of what I am doing..

I have two iMacs and two externals, one to each of them.

The newer iMac is connected to LaCie and Time Machine.

The older iMac is connected to Simple but Time Machine says there is not drive available to back up. I checked connections and the Simple connected directly to the computer's USB port.

So I am guessing that the older computer is running by wi-fi and the Spectrum internet connection is coming from the newer computer. Is that why Time Machine cannot find it?

How do I connect both computers to the same network directly?

iMac (newer)

Monterey 12.5

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

iMac (older)

High Sierra

Startup HD

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 10:38 AM

Time Machine and your Wi-Fi connections are not related to one another. Each can operate independent of the other, i.e. neither requires the other to work.

Each Mac needs its own connection,

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201735

To connect more than one, you need a router that allows multiple connections. You can mix wireless with Ethernet if the router supports both..

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 10:38 AM in response to ethalfrida

Time Machine and your Wi-Fi connections are not related to one another. Each can operate independent of the other, i.e. neither requires the other to work.

Each Mac needs its own connection,

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201735

To connect more than one, you need a router that allows multiple connections. You can mix wireless with Ethernet if the router supports both..

Network Connection to Two iMacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.