Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine vs multiple routers issue

Hello, I have recently added a second router to my home network. The setup is GPONModem>>Router1>>Router2. WDMyCloudHome used for Time Machine is connected via ethernet cable (wall socket) coming from Router1. When my MacBook is connected to WiFi on Router2 I can access the files (movies, pictures etc) on WDMCH, however, Time Machine stops seeing the WD for back-ups. If I switch my MacBook to WiFi of Router1 Time Machine gets connected and starts back-up (other files still visible). Would this be a set-up issue with WDMCH or Time Machine?

Many thanks in advance

Mert

MBP 2020; Catalina

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 12:29 PM

No. All 192.168.*.* addresses are considered non-routing addresses and will not cross a sub-net boundary.

When you have the router acting as a router, it will make all off-router access via NAT (Network address translation). And broadcast messages, such as the ones used by Bonjour for device discovery will NEVER pass through the router when it is acting as a router.

If there are features you prefer in the 2nd router, then swap with the first router, and put the original first router into "Bridge" mode, or whatever turns off it routing features. GPONModem>>Router2>>Router1

Or dump both routers and get a real Mesh router system with multiple mesh access points. There are several manufactures out there selling mesh routers. Find one that offers the services you prefer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 12:29 PM in response to berkerm

No. All 192.168.*.* addresses are considered non-routing addresses and will not cross a sub-net boundary.

When you have the router acting as a router, it will make all off-router access via NAT (Network address translation). And broadcast messages, such as the ones used by Bonjour for device discovery will NEVER pass through the router when it is acting as a router.

If there are features you prefer in the 2nd router, then swap with the first router, and put the original first router into "Bridge" mode, or whatever turns off it routing features. GPONModem>>Router2>>Router1

Or dump both routers and get a real Mesh router system with multiple mesh access points. There are several manufactures out there selling mesh routers. Find one that offers the services you prefer.

Jun 11, 2021 9:28 AM in response to berkerm

You need to put the 2nd router into "Bridge" mode, so that it just extends the existing local sub-net. This is sometimes done by a router option that says "Bridge Mode", and sometimes it is done by Disabling DHCP.

At the moment your 2nd router is creating a 2nd sub-net, and there are many local network protocols that do not cross sub-net boundaries, such as Bonjour discovery.

Jun 11, 2021 11:28 AM in response to BobHarris

Many thanks for the reply. I may be less "network literate" than you would expects, so pre-apologies for naive further questions :)

The second router mentioned is a TPLink DECO, which has less tweaking possibilities than regular routers. There is no DHCP disabling, but I assume using it on access point mode would be the answer (which I do not prefer because then I will not be able to use advance fetures like parental controls). If I keep it as Router2, and and assign IP's starting with 192.168.1.xxx rather than 192.168.68.xxx (default of DECO) would that solve hte problem?

Jun 17, 2021 11:55 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you BobHarris for the further replies. The DECO is a MESH system, but the Router1 spoils the flow (as not being part of the system)

Lucky enough, I have remembered that the DECO units have two ethernet ports, so I plugged the WDMCH directly into the MESH, and problem is solved. But, that was only possible because the units were near by. Otherwise, I would have needed to follow your guidance.

Regards!

Time Machine vs multiple routers issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.