Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cannot be usew iwth Migration Assistant

I have a 12 year old Mac Pro (MP) running Mojave, and a new Mac Studio (MS). I need to transfer my files. As you can imagine, there are a lot of them! But when I try this, the Mac Pro is always on WiFi, even though I have it on Ethernet on the same network as the MS. I got an estimate of 32 hours to transfer my files. I followed the advice in this link to disable my WiFi.

How to disable wifi during Migration Assi… - Apple Community

Migration Assistant on MS sees MP, but cannot connect. I tried this 3 times! Using WiFi, it estimated 11 hours, but the next morning, there were still 7 to go, and it showed just 1/3 transferred.

So I tried using my removable Time Machine backup from MP. This sat there preparing for 2 hours, so I quit.

I am trying again Not transferring any user directories. There are still over 750,000 files to transfer!

There are multiple issues with this process, and my experience with it so far is awful.

• With a large number of documents, The migration assistant should allow you to put a user's directory somewhere besides the small boot disk. I have a 16TB HDD in a Thunderbay enclosure.
  • The Mojave (not updated by Apple in over a year) Migration Assistant should have a way to set the networking. The one on the MS does.
  • The instructions on migrating from the MS are non existent. It should have told me to start it on the MP.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 2:13 PM

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Drag Ethernet to top of list

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

Apply.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2022 2:13 PM in response to jrome

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Drag Ethernet to top of list

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

Apply.

Jun 23, 2022 3:38 PM in response to jrome

In the Service order section it tries the top one first, sometimes only tries the top one.

There are dozen of files involved with a Location, so as New Location would likely get past any corrupted files that affect connections.

Making a new Location clears the DNS cach & resets a few other things.

Jun 23, 2022 3:41 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, it seems stuck. My MacPro says less than 2 hours remaining, and the Mac Studio has been sitting on 316,790 files transferred for some time now, and the ETA keeps rising. Up to 12 Hours now! What to do??

I keep getting stuck. This is literally the tenth time (or more) I have just tried to transfer my apps and settings.

Ethernet cannot be usew iwth Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.