Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable wifi during Migration Assistant phase?

I have a new iMac. I set it up as a new mac with AppleID I use. Then it knows my home wifi SSID and credentials and get connected automatically.

After played a while, I planned to migrate a time machine backup of macbookpro to this new iMAC instead of installing all software again. The time machine backup is hosted on a NAS.

Both wifi and ethernet are connected and both network can reach NAS. So to save time, I disabled the wifi in the macos before start migration assistant. Then it rebooted into migration assistant window which only allows me to choose the source of time machine backup. Wifi is again auto connected. I have no way to disable it and force to use ethernet. During the content copy phase, the transmit speed only around 20MB/S which obviously is using 5G wireless not the Gigabit ethernet. And I can also confirm from the router, the traffic is passed through wireless AP not the ethernet port.

So my question is how to disable wifi under migration assistant?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 11:27 PM

On the Mac you are migrating data to

System Preferences -> iCloud -> Keychain -> Disable - this is where your WiFi passwords are stored and shared with your other Apple devices)

System Preferences -> Network -> On the left select the WiFi interface -> Advanced -> WiFi -> Preferred Networks -> find your SSID, select it and click the [-] to remove it from the list.

That should stop you from auto joining your WiFi network.

When you are finished, you can turn on iClould -> Keychain and again your preferred networks should populate with your SSID.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2018 11:27 PM in response to xfelix123

On the Mac you are migrating data to

System Preferences -> iCloud -> Keychain -> Disable - this is where your WiFi passwords are stored and shared with your other Apple devices)

System Preferences -> Network -> On the left select the WiFi interface -> Advanced -> WiFi -> Preferred Networks -> find your SSID, select it and click the [-] to remove it from the list.

That should stop you from auto joining your WiFi network.

When you are finished, you can turn on iClould -> Keychain and again your preferred networks should populate with your SSID.

Jun 27, 2018 4:06 PM in response to xfelix123

how to disable wifi

You don't have to. Just set it to prefer ethernet over wifi.

Open Network System Preferences.

Click the Padlock and Authenticate, if required.

Select "Set Service Order" from the Gear menu (bottom of the list of services).

Drag Ethernet to the top of the list.

Click Apply.

Your Mac will now use Ethernet unless it is unavailable.

How to disable wifi during Migration Assistant phase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.