Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No choice of using Rosetta

Hi,

I want to run some apps with Rosetta but I can't find the choice of "using Rosetta to open". Also, I didn't see the question asking me to decide to install Rosetta. I wonder if there's anywhere I can download it myself.

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 1:27 PM

Rosetta 2 is only a available on Apple Silicon M1 /M2 computers and will only be invoked / used when the user attempts to Launch a 64 Bit Intel Based Application.

If this computer Intel based or Apple Silicon Computer

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

EDITED

3 replies

Aug 13, 2022 4:03 PM in response to DiWu812

Rosetta 2 in built into macOS Big Sur and  Monterey. It only available on Apple Computer with the Silicon M1 / M2 CPU. 

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System.

Only Intel Binary Code. This is software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operating system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur and Monterey

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

That would make perfect sense since it is specifically designed to operate only on Apple Silicon M1 / M2 ARMs based computers 

If you click on the Application and use the two keyboard combination command I.

Inside there there is additional information including the Option to Open in Rosetta 2

No choice of using Rosetta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.