Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta box not showing anywhere

Hi, I’ve installed Rosetta via command because it didn’t show at any Intel apps and now if I try to see the box “open via rosetta” at any app info it doesn’t show, only the “Locked” box, even if I got the message Rosetta 2 was installed successfully. Why is that? I cannot use any Intel apps and I need them for my work and studies. Please, help me to find a solution! Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 3:14 PM

Hi larisa203

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Wondering which MacBook Pro (Silicon? or Intel?) you are using Ventura on:

How to: Identify your MacBook Pro model

Rosetta 2 is available only for

MacBook Pro computers with Apple silicon:

Eg:

Apple supports article says:

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

says:

"Rosetta 2 enables a Mac with Apple silicon to use apps built for a Mac with an Intel processor".

Article tells how to install the app so you get to see the box “open via rosetta”

(also " "Universal" apps don't need Rosetta" : article tells how to check apps.)

If needed:

macOS - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2023 3:14 PM in response to larisa203

Hi larisa203

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Wondering which MacBook Pro (Silicon? or Intel?) you are using Ventura on:

How to: Identify your MacBook Pro model

Rosetta 2 is available only for

MacBook Pro computers with Apple silicon:

Eg:

Apple supports article says:

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

says:

"Rosetta 2 enables a Mac with Apple silicon to use apps built for a Mac with an Intel processor".

Article tells how to install the app so you get to see the box “open via rosetta”

(also " "Universal" apps don't need Rosetta" : article tells how to check apps.)

If needed:

macOS - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jan 24, 2023 3:21 PM in response to brbo

Thank you for replying, larisa203, and for your Mac details.

So I guess you still need help with a solution to get Rosetta 2 working for you.

Wondering which apps are not allowing you to use Rosetta ... eg: have you tried working with an app to see if Rosetta is quietly performing it's "magic" anyway?

The linked article says:

"... Rosetta works automatically in the background whenever you use an app that was built only for Mac computers with an Intel processor."

and ...

"In most cases, you won't notice any difference in the performance of an app that needs Rosetta. But you should contact the app developer to inquire about a version that can natively use the full power and performance of Apple silicon".

Jan 24, 2023 1:56 AM in response to larisa203

Very much agree with previous posting regarding Google Chrome.

As a broader overview of Rosetta 2 on M-Class Apple Apple Silicon computers.

Rosetta 2 is only available on Apple Computer with the Silicon M1 / M2 CPU. 

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System.

Only Intel Binary Code. This software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operating system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1/ M2 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 / M2 ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

That would make perfect sense since. It is specifically designed to operate only on Apple Silicon M1 / M2 ARMs based computers 

Jan 24, 2023 7:04 AM in response to larisa203

The way it was designed to work is the first time you launch an Intel app you are given the option to download and install Rosetta. In addition, with an Intel only app, you will never see the “open with Rosetta” check box. You only see that with a universal app. When everything went by the book you just launch the Intel app and it runs. No need to pre-check any box.

If your version of Chrome is indeed universal and the “open with Rosetta” checkbox is not present then that might indicate that your installation by command failed or went south for some reason. Have you tried restarting your Mac or tried a Safe Boot?

Rosetta box not showing anywhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.