Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

speakers went quiet

My speakers on MacBook air suddenly went to half volume, for no reason. All my settings are still at max output. It's annoying not to be able to hear anything. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 7:55 PM

curiousgranny8 Said:

"speakers went quiet: My speakers on MacBook air suddenly went to half volume, for no reason. All my settings are still at max output. It's annoying not to be able to hear anything. How do I fix this? Thanks!"

-------

Troubleshoot the Mac Audio:

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input and output settings, then perform things on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.  (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 7:55 PM in response to curiousgranny8

curiousgranny8 Said:

"speakers went quiet: My speakers on MacBook air suddenly went to half volume, for no reason. All my settings are still at max output. It's annoying not to be able to hear anything. How do I fix this? Thanks!"

-------

Troubleshoot the Mac Audio:

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input and output settings, then perform things on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.  (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

speakers went quiet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.