Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing a child's iPad via Family Share with non-Apple device

I bought my son an Ipad even though both my wife and myself use android. He's 9 years old so I set both of us up with an apple ID and me as the manager of the family share. I dont have another apple device, my son's iPad is the only one. It doesn't seem like I have a way to approve what kids buy or download on the iPad without another Apple device.

Any work arounds ?

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 9:51 PM

The short answer is there are no workarounds. While you can use Family Sharing in an Apple Music context on an Android that's about the extent of it. You can't use it to manage his iPad and certainly not with the Screen Time features you would want to use. You could set up Screen Time but it would have to be done from his device and you would have to use his device to adjust settings and grant Ask To Buy permission.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 9:51 PM in response to Ahmad_19

The short answer is there are no workarounds. While you can use Family Sharing in an Apple Music context on an Android that's about the extent of it. You can't use it to manage his iPad and certainly not with the Screen Time features you would want to use. You could set up Screen Time but it would have to be done from his device and you would have to use his device to adjust settings and grant Ask To Buy permission.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Managing a child's iPad via Family Share with non-Apple device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.