Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple hardware test error code

hi everyone.

i run an imac 21.5 inch mid 2011. for a restarting issue i did apple diagnostics and found hardware issue.

first code was :

4M0T/4/40000002:0DD-0.

next i do the extended test and found this code:

4mem/60/40000000:0x8874be98

what does all that mean ?

i am not an expert, just a normal user. i installed a 256 GB SSD and a cooling fan 1 month age. the problem started from last 15 days. operating system is High Sierra in SSD. I tried reinstalling OS but in the middle .... not successful and restarting problem remains same.

please help me.

iMac

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 8:47 AM

The 4MOT code means the cooling fan that services the optical drive has jammed, failed, or is failing.

The 4MEM code is a bad RAM module or a bad RAM slot.

i am not an expert, just a normal user. i installed a 256 GB SSD and a cooling fan 1 month age

In that iMac model, some SSD upgrades require an auxiliary thermal sensor cable attached tothe new drive to prevent fans fro running full time or report other errors.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/

For the 4MEM code, remove and reseat the RAM models. In that model the seating force is quite high so improperly seated RAM models is a common occurrence.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 8:47 AM in response to khokonme

The 4MOT code means the cooling fan that services the optical drive has jammed, failed, or is failing.

The 4MEM code is a bad RAM module or a bad RAM slot.

i am not an expert, just a normal user. i installed a 256 GB SSD and a cooling fan 1 month age

In that iMac model, some SSD upgrades require an auxiliary thermal sensor cable attached tothe new drive to prevent fans fro running full time or report other errors.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/

For the 4MEM code, remove and reseat the RAM models. In that model the seating force is quite high so improperly seated RAM models is a common occurrence.

apple hardware test error code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.