Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble finding a relatively inexpensive (<$200) flatbed scanner compatible with Big Sur 11.6.8

I need/want to get a flatbed scanner and am looking favorability at the Canon CanoScan Lide 400 Slim Scanner.

However I have found numerous reviews on various scanners - besides the Canon named above - that report incompatibility with Mac OS (my MacBook Pro 2015 has Big Sur 11.6.8). Problems with USB cables, drivers and other software, and lack of -- or badly written user guides and setups are the most common.

On the positive side, many, many reviewers describe the ease of setup and general satisfaction with their purchase.

If anyone has input -- positive or negative -- I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 12:02 PM

Find an AirPrint-compatible scanner: About AirPrint - Apple Support. If the scanner or multifunction device does not appear on that list, don't buy it. It won't work.

These days I prefer Brother devices. I don't happen to have any dedicated scanners but Brother's multifunction devices work well.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 14, 2022 12:18 PM in response to TscienceK

The optional, paid VueScan Professional scanning application supports the Canon LiDE 400 device without Canon or Apple drivers on any version of macOS you choose, including Monterey. I am using a Canon flatbed scanner (pre-2012) on Monterey using VueScan Professional (that I purchased in 2010), and have never paid an upgrade fee. You can trial the VueScan software at no charge.

Since VueScan Professional supports over 7000+ scanners, you have your choice of vendor independence too.

Having trouble finding a relatively inexpensive (<$200) flatbed scanner compatible with Big Sur 11.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.