Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing Organizer Name Wrong

Since the days of iTunes, my wife and I have used the same AppleID. We each have our own iPhones, which has caused no end of problems using the same AppleID…so we “split” our account. I kept the “old” AppleID, which as the “organizer” for our Family Sharing. My wife got a new AppleID account, which she has used to log into her iPhone. The problem is now, that on her phone, it says that she is the organizer and it has my name wrong and she her name displays as me.

I have already tried logging on/off of both accounts, restarting phones, turning Family Sharing on/off. And the Apple Support answer/link to “Manage your AppleID” is not helpful at all.

Any idea what is going on and how to help? Thank you.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 9:09 PM

Hi gretmttw! My dad and I have had the same problem today. I just split off of his account and created my own Apple ID since we were drowning in issues related to sharing the same account. When we set up family sharing, the organizer name (his account) was showing as my name. After struggling with each of the solutions you mentioned, we solved it by going to Contacts > My Card on the Organizer's phone. Delete the contact info for the organizer and recreate the My Card contact. Make sure to include your primary Apple ID email address on the new contact and the name should change to match your new contact. Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 9:09 PM in response to gretmattw

Hi gretmttw! My dad and I have had the same problem today. I just split off of his account and created my own Apple ID since we were drowning in issues related to sharing the same account. When we set up family sharing, the organizer name (his account) was showing as my name. After struggling with each of the solutions you mentioned, we solved it by going to Contacts > My Card on the Organizer's phone. Delete the contact info for the organizer and recreate the My Card contact. Make sure to include your primary Apple ID email address on the new contact and the name should change to match your new contact. Hope this helps!

Aug 14, 2022 9:30 AM in response to gretmattw

Did you completely erase the phone before starting with her ID? I sounds like you have relic information on there. I don't know of a way of getting it to update with different Family Sharing information

You could try backing up her phone, erase it, then restore from the backup.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Erase iPhone - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

I can't guarantee that would work, but it should get the phone to have a completely fresh look at things. Alternatively ou may have to contact Apple about this one since you have tried everything else I might suggest.

Contact Apple. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service --> "See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world."

Click here --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Family Sharing Organizer Name Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.