Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting a usb c cable to a lightning cable

Is there a connector that I can buy to connect the usb c cable on my new ipad pro to my existing lightning cable from my old ipad? Basically just to make it longer...

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 1:26 PM

It truly is false economy to attempt to extend a USB-C to USB-C cable, using an adapter, to join a presumed USB Type-A to Lightning cable - when the correct cable (that will work as intended) is readily available:

• USB-C to Lightning Cable (2m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQGH2ZM/A

4 replies

Aug 14, 2022 12:17 PM in response to 2020GGMM

What do you hope to achieve by interconnecting two iPads directly by way of a USB cable?

In general, if you need a longer cable, you would be best advised to simply acquire the correct cable for the purpose. Longer cables, when used for charging, need heavier gauge wiring than shorter cables. Otherwise the electrical resistance of the individual conductors will lead to significant voltage drop - and may even prevent reliable charging. USB standards also generally preclude the use of simple cable adapters - as cable adapters can potentially introduce incorrect wiring combinations that can lead to damage.

When compared with the very high cost of repairing a damaged USB connection of an iPad, the cost of simply purchasing the correct cable for the job recedes to insignificance.

Aug 14, 2022 12:41 PM in response to 2020GGMM

To repeat my question, what do you hope to achieve by interconnecting two iPads directly by way of a USB cable? Unless you intend to share the Cellular hotspot of an iPad, or attempt to charge an iPhone or older iPad from a 2021 model iPad Pro, a direct wired connection will serve no purpose.

If intending to make a direct connection, unless you use a single cable, there is no guarantee that the connection will function at all.

connecting a usb c cable to a lightning cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.