Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edit data across multiple contacts

I have several contacts associated with a company. The company is now operating under a new name. Is there an efficient method by which to do a global “find/replace” to change the company name field across multiple contacts?

(I saw a chain from 2012 with the same question and suboptimal solution. Hoping there have been improvements in the past decade.)

Suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 3:34 PM

Nope.

Not short of extracting everything to a vCard VCF file via iCloud Contacts (select all, then export), and finding and using a tool (maybe BBEdit, vim, etc?) to globally edit that file, then select-all in your contacts again in iCloud and delete all, then re-import the edited vCard.

I’d want about three backups before trying this, and probably also some testing using a not-being-used-for-Contacts Apple ID.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 3:34 PM in response to WILakeGirl

Nope.

Not short of extracting everything to a vCard VCF file via iCloud Contacts (select all, then export), and finding and using a tool (maybe BBEdit, vim, etc?) to globally edit that file, then select-all in your contacts again in iCloud and delete all, then re-import the edited vCard.

I’d want about three backups before trying this, and probably also some testing using a not-being-used-for-Contacts Apple ID.

Edit data across multiple contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.