Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use smart light bulbs with Apple Home?

To be able to remotely turn bulbs on and off with Apple Home, do I need to install a smart light switch? If not, does the light switch need to constantly be on? I don’t really understand how the Bulb could function if the regular switch was off.

Furthermore, if it is an LED bulb which has multicolour functions, am I able to change the colours through the Home app or HomePod mini, or do I need to use the bulbs’ native app to do that?

Thanks 😊

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 4:33 PM

I use LIFX globes as they are plug and play - they don't need extra components such as a bridge. The LIFX app for iOS takes you through the setup process. This includes scanning the Homekit setup code that is on the instruction leaflet. After that the light can be controlled from the Home app on an iPhone, iPad or Mac computer BUT you do need an Apple TV, Homepod or dedicated iPad to act as the Home Hub for controlling your devices when away from home .

You can change the brightness and colours from the Home app. These settings are retained if you switch the light off from a conventional wall switch. Obviously this needs to be switched on if you want remote control.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 4:33 PM in response to Zacenator

I use LIFX globes as they are plug and play - they don't need extra components such as a bridge. The LIFX app for iOS takes you through the setup process. This includes scanning the Homekit setup code that is on the instruction leaflet. After that the light can be controlled from the Home app on an iPhone, iPad or Mac computer BUT you do need an Apple TV, Homepod or dedicated iPad to act as the Home Hub for controlling your devices when away from home .

You can change the brightness and colours from the Home app. These settings are retained if you switch the light off from a conventional wall switch. Obviously this needs to be switched on if you want remote control.

Aug 15, 2022 3:58 AM in response to Michael Paine

Thanks for this Micheal,

So would I be correct in saying that provided the lamp is plugged in at the wall and the plug is constantly on, I can switch on and off the bulb at will? If so, even if the plug is on but the bulb is off, will energy still be being used?

Finally, disregarding lamps, am I able to put the bulbs in normal lights (like the ones attached to the ceiling)? If so, for the bulb to be able to function, would the light Switch (not plug socket) need to constantly be on?

Thanks.

How do I use smart light bulbs with Apple Home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.