Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best iPad Pro Power Supply for Music production

I have an 11" iPad Pro M1 and I purchased an adapter to allow MIDI through to Cubasis and input from my external sound card.

So far so good, except that the power brick that came with my ipad barely keeps it charged while using the Hub and my iPhone and older iPad power bricks don't even show up as power sources (without the Hub, they charge the iPad but very slowly).

The issue is that many Sound cards and USB/MIDI keyboards draw power from the device itself (normally a PC, but in this case the iPad.

I was wondering if there may be a USB-C hub that (for instance) would allow multiple power sources.

I know this is not a novel idea because I used to own an external hard drive case that had a split USB cable, allowing one to draw power (and connection?) from two different USB Ports.

I see a lot of people producing music on the iPad, but so far I haven't encountered a single video or article that explains how to best manage power supply.

The hub I use is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1XDGXH and while it works and it is affordable, it has the power drain issue I explained. Otherwise,m it's a pretty good hub, and it even allows me to use the old iRig 2 I used on my old iPad. The headphone adapter I have to use wired earbuds won't allow the iRig to work, but this hub does, it's just that it barely keeps up with the power needs.

I was thinking that maybe the Apple Laptop power brick would be better?

If anyone with better knowledge than me on this topic wants to contribute, I'd be very much obliged.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 5:55 PM

A larger wattage power adapter will NOT help you as any iOS device charge at a specific rate at a specific wattage and no more.

So, if your use a 30, 40 or 60W Apple power/charging adapter with that iPad, your iPad would not charge any faster than it is designed and rated at for its battery size.

My advice would be to find and purchase a powered hub,that uses its own external power supply/source, to power any external devices.

Best of Luck to You!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 5:55 PM in response to conticreative

A larger wattage power adapter will NOT help you as any iOS device charge at a specific rate at a specific wattage and no more.

So, if your use a 30, 40 or 60W Apple power/charging adapter with that iPad, your iPad would not charge any faster than it is designed and rated at for its battery size.

My advice would be to find and purchase a powered hub,that uses its own external power supply/source, to power any external devices.

Best of Luck to You!

Aug 18, 2022 7:45 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for your reply. Well, I have been looking for a USB C hub that would allow me to plug in my iPad power supply, 2 MIDI Keyboard/controller and a sound card, and I could not find a single thing.

The only thing I could think of was to buy a generic 65W power supply for a laptop and use it only to power the hub, hoping that it's going to keep the iPad charged too without blowing it up.

I now tested all my apple and 3rd party chargers for my old iPads. None of them charges the iPad through the hub I have. Only the original power brick does, and very slowly at that. And that's without any MIDI or sound card drawing power.

Essentially, all the USB C hubs I could find (with USB-C, USB 3, HDMI and headphone jack) are powered via USB C. None of them have a separate power supply like many regular USB hubs do.

I guess I could rig a iPad > USB-C hub > Regular powered USB Hub > MIDI/Sound devices but that would be a pain to keep plugged in, as if I didn't already have enough cables on m y music station.

If anyone knows of a good USB Hub for iPad Pro that is independently powered, please let me know. I am at my wits end, especially since the iPad power brick has the shortest USB-C cable on the planet and that's also a real pain.

Aug 19, 2022 3:15 PM in response to MichelPM

Nope. I think there may be some usb C powered hubs at more specialized places, but they are between $150 and $200. That's a bit excessive for a USB Hub, plus they lack the headphone jack that all iPad hubs should have (Bluetooth has horrible latency and it's impossible to make music with it).

Also, I downloaded an app that measures how much power my iPad receives while charging. I can test charging bricks (keeping the same cable) and I can even test cables. The apps (there are two) are called "Amperes 2" and "Amperes 3".

I just downloaded them a few days ago and I haven't had time to chart the results (the iPad needs to be between 75% and 85% charge to do the test, then it needs to be discharged again for the next test), but preliminarily, it's clear that the hub acts as a resistor of sort.

The original power brick takes longer than double the time to charge the iPad if I place the hub in the middle.

Then I tested my old iPad charger, which takes forever to charge my new iPad when directly plugged in, does not even register as charging when I place the hub in between (and that's not while powering my MIDI gear or the sound card).

This weekend I intend to chart various combinations of chargers and cables and see how much power is stolen by the hub.

Also, longer cables diminish the charging power and I'll test those too.

If I can scare up a regular USB 3 hub I will try chaining them, with the MIDI gear powered by the more traditional, powered hub and see how that goes.

I'll try to remember to post the results here (although I am sure someone already has the data somewhere, but I couldn't find it).

It could also be that my hub is defective, but I can't keep buying $50 hubs until I find one that works.

Aside from the charging, the hub works very well, even allowing me to plug my old Guitar > iPad interface and it does power everything I need it too, but the iPad slowly discharges as I use my gear and charges glacially if I just leave it attached.

Best iPad Pro Power Supply for Music production

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.