Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

“This accessory requires too much power" - I’m sure it has been asked before - sorry

I have an iPadAir model A2123 (if that helps) and I bought an adapter - model A1619 - so that I could import files from a USB drive. But no matter what USB device I connect to the A1619, I always get the same message “This accessory requires too much power". The A1619 is connected to my power and the other end to my iPad.

None of the USB sticks I have have their own power supply - so is there anything I can do? The A1619 adapter wasn’t cheap!

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 5:01 AM

When using your Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with many USB storage devices, you must also connect your Power Adapter (rated 12W - 2.4A @5V or greater) to the pass-through Lightning port of the Adapter.

Your iPad cannot source sufficient power, via its Lightning port, to power most USB storage devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 5:01 AM in response to Stopited

When using your Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with many USB storage devices, you must also connect your Power Adapter (rated 12W - 2.4A @5V or greater) to the pass-through Lightning port of the Adapter.

Your iPad cannot source sufficient power, via its Lightning port, to power most USB storage devices.

“This accessory requires too much power" - I’m sure it has been asked before - sorry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.