Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I send an email with 2-3 photos that look great. However, when someone replies to that email and chooses to include the original photos with the reply, my photos return to me looking distorted and ugly. Is there a way to prevent that?

I have seen this with multiple versions of MacOS and Apple email versions. I am currently running 10.15.7. When I send an email from my Intel 2020 MacBookAir with 2-3 photos they look great. However, when someone replies to that email and chooses to include the original photos with the reply, my photos return to me looking distorted and ugly. Is there a way to prevent that? I thought sending png instead of jpeg might help but that did not have any effect. I have also tried the "Actual Size," "Large," and "Medium" settings with the mail app but that does not seem to have an effect either. If your solution includes "Update to the latest version of MacOS," I am willing to do that. However, before I do that, please outline what the fundamental problem was and what was changed in newer versions of Apple Mail or MacOS to address that.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 7:15 PM

Also, when you mention "email service providers," does that refer to email clients such as Spark or MailSpring or Outlook? Or are you referring to the ISPs like Comcast, ATT, etc.? Or more like yahoo, google, apple mail products that can either be client based or web based?

Yes, all of them. Apple's iCloud Mail service does not alter image resolution. That means both sender and receiver need to use @iCloud.com email addresses (or @me.com — they are synonymous). So if you want your images to be sent in full resolution use iCloud or some other service that you are certain will not alter their resolution. I don't have any particular recommendations.

As for the others, I don't know. I happen to know AOL was one of the first who did that and it caused a stir. Today it's pretty much accepted.

Web based or Mail client based makes no difference. Regardless of the client you are using, it's the email service providers that mess with email messages — and if you were not already aware of the fact, the implication of that is that they read them, for a variety of reasons. Of course it's not a human being who's reading your emails, but there is no guarantee of that either. Don't expect privacy with email.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 7:15 PM in response to ok_2_laf

Also, when you mention "email service providers," does that refer to email clients such as Spark or MailSpring or Outlook? Or are you referring to the ISPs like Comcast, ATT, etc.? Or more like yahoo, google, apple mail products that can either be client based or web based?

Yes, all of them. Apple's iCloud Mail service does not alter image resolution. That means both sender and receiver need to use @iCloud.com email addresses (or @me.com — they are synonymous). So if you want your images to be sent in full resolution use iCloud or some other service that you are certain will not alter their resolution. I don't have any particular recommendations.

As for the others, I don't know. I happen to know AOL was one of the first who did that and it caused a stir. Today it's pretty much accepted.

Web based or Mail client based makes no difference. Regardless of the client you are using, it's the email service providers that mess with email messages — and if you were not already aware of the fact, the implication of that is that they read them, for a variety of reasons. Of course it's not a human being who's reading your emails, but there is no guarantee of that either. Don't expect privacy with email.

Aug 15, 2022 7:09 PM in response to ok_2_laf

Mail stinks at a whole lot of things including some of its common uses, and acting as a stinky file transfer service (here) being among those stinks.

All sorts of folks involved in the mail message transfer can shrink or compress attached images, particularly among the free providers.

What to do? Send the recipients a link: Share photos and videos with an iCloud Link on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2022 6:49 PM in response to ok_2_laf

I have also tried the "Actual Size," "Large," and "Medium" settings with the mail app but that does not seem to have an effect either.

After you choose a resolution for the attachment, Apple's Mail client does not alter it. It is sent to your email service provider exactly as you choose to send it.

However, a variety of email service providers are notorious for changing image resolution, on either the sending or receiving end.

Aug 15, 2022 7:00 PM in response to John Galt

Hi JG -

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that there is nothing that I can do to prevent this from occurring?

Also, when you mention "email service providers," does that refer to email clients such as Spark or MailSpring or Outlook? Or are you referring to the ISPs like Comcast, ATT, etc.? Or more like yahoo, google, apple mail products that can either be client based or web based? Also, what about OS: Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs iOS vs Android?

Ok_2_Laf

I send an email with 2-3 photos that look great. However, when someone replies to that email and chooses to include the original photos with the reply, my photos return to me looking distorted and ugly. Is there a way to prevent that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.