Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - over-exposed footage in timeline issue

I haven't used FCPX in a while, but am having an issue I've never come across before and cannot see a reason for...

I've shot some footage on an iPhone 12 Pro and imported it, both directly from the iPhone and via Photos app, into FCPX version 10.6.4.

In the Browser it looks fine, but in a new Project its massively 'overexposed'.

Non-iPhone footage in the timeline looks correct, but whether Original (HEVC) or Optimised, the iPhone footage looks the same - overexposed.

So, new library, new footage, new project, no settings changed from default - what is going on?!?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 6:49 AM

It’s HDR media. Is the library set to wide gamut? Is the project HDR?

Watch Mark Spencer’s videos on working with Dolby Vision HDR in FCP. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3zXcyYyuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4RSS8g5HLU 

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 16, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom!

Wow, just when I thought FCPX was intuitive and intelligent, and could seamlessly integrate all kinds of footage...

So, I've never previously had to specify Library and Project settings. At most I've chosen 'based on first clip' to open a new Project containing a wide range of formats - which I also tried this time with the Wide Gamut stuff, but to no avail...

But I've changed Library to Wide Gamut and Project to Wide Gamut HDR - Rec.2020 HLG (whatever the heck that is).

Net result - iPhone 12 Pro footage appears correctly everywhere now, but the rest is too dark - which happens to be footage downloaded from the Home app. So I guess I'll have to grade that.

What a mess though! All footage filmed/created and edited on Apple devices/apps, and it doesn't want to play nice. I'm astonished.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 16, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

I think you should carefully follow the videos by Mark Spencer, that Tom linked to.

They do a great work of explaining things.

It seems that most of your footage is not in HDR, so your solution to switch the library to Wide Gamut is probably not the best.

Instead, follow the instructions that Mark Spencer gives for working with HDR material (in this case, the video shot in the iPhone) in a regular non-HDR (i.e. Rec 709) library and project.

I don't have a recent iPhone, but I believe that you can, if you so wish, set it so that it records in a non-HDR format.

Aug 16, 2022 9:33 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

You are right, I'm going back to SDR.

But, like I say, to me it's a mess. 27 minutes of Ripple videos to explain how to do what, in my world (!) Apple would have had covered in an "It Just Works" manner.

Hopefully FCPX updates will address the issue.

(Having been making corporate videos and TV ads since the early 80's, I've seen complex (rooms full of hot, noisy analogue gear) become super easy - literally, a MacBook. So, having admittedly stepped back from FCPX for a couple of years, it was a shock to find things getting complex again!)

Aug 16, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

The software can’t decide what you’re trying to do. Are you shouting HDR for SDR output, which is very common, or vice versa? The problem is the huge plethora of formats, color spaces, codecs, frameworks, nothing like analog days. Every camera manufacturer is different, and the options in every camera are enormous. The iPhone now shoots multiple formats, frame rates, color spaces , and codecs, and that’s a comparatively simple device. Real cameras let you set all those and set data rates as well. Because chips can make anything possible, now everything is possible all the time.

FCPX - over-exposed footage in timeline issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.