Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar backlight not working

The backlight of my touch bar suddenly stopped working. I tried resetting the Ram and SMC, but to no avail. Starting up in safe mode makes no difference either. I tried to reset the touch bar agent and .plist too. The last option I tried was to run a clone from when everything was still fine. It had the same result

The touch bar itself is working fine. When I restart the computer, I see the backlight coming up for a fraction of a second. I dusted off my keyboard when the MacBook Pro was still on. It might have triggered a certain key combination, shutting the backlight down.

Anyone any idea?

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 7:45 AM

DeMinister wrote:

The backlight of my touch bar suddenly stopped working. I tried resetting the Ram and SMC, but to no avail. Starting up in safe mode makes no difference either. I tried to reset the touch bar agent and .plist too. The last option I tried was to run a clone from when everything was still fine. It had the same result

The touch bar itself is working fine. When I restart the computer, I see the backlight coming up for a fraction of a second. I dusted off my keyboard when the MacBook Pro was still on. It might have triggered a certain key combination, shutting the backlight down.

Anyone any idea?

You neglect to say what exact Mac this is...

On Intel yes— resetting NVRAM and SMC is the best you can do to sort the issue.

ref:

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

If no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue with the T2 chip controller on the logicboard.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 7:45 AM in response to DeMinister

DeMinister wrote:

Anyone any idea?

You neglect to say what exact Mac this is...

On Intel yes— resetting NVRAM and SMC is the best you can do to sort the issue.

ref:

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

If no resolve it typically indicates a hardware issue with the T2 chip controller on the logicboard.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Aug 17, 2022 8:54 AM in response to DeMinister

DeMinister wrote:

It is a 2018 MacBook Pro 13". I already reset the NVRAM/PRAM and SMC multiple times. The backlight only lights up for a fraction of a second when restarting or waking up, and then it goes dark.

I have removed the plist, cleared the cache and tried to kill the control strip and touch bar with the following command:
sudo pkill TouchBarServer;
sudo killall “ControlStrip”;

Unfortunately, No matching processes were found.

yes— I tried to suggest above that no resolve indicates a hardware issue.

Touch bar is controller by—

USB Device: Apple T2 Bus

USB Device: Touch Bar Backlight

USB Device: Touch Bar Display

USB Device: Apple T2 Controller

if you want to get it fixed:

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost.  Mac Repair Service  Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2022 8:38 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is a 2018 MacBook Pro 13". I already reset the NVRAM/PRAM and SMC multiple times. The backlight only lights up for a fraction of a second when restarting or waking up, and then it goes dark.

I have removed the plist, cleared the cache and tried to kill the control strip and touch bar with the following command:

sudo pkill TouchBarServer;

sudo killall “ControlStrip”;

Unfortunately, No matching processes were found.

Touch Bar backlight not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.