MacBook Pro keyboard backlight not working

2020 13" Intel MBP keyboard backlight stopped working (only works when booting to Windows). Settings for backlight are missing from the system settings screen. What I've tried:

• Worked with Apple Support
  • Added brightness control to command center (you can move the slider but it just drops back to 0 and does not light the keyboard)
  • SMC and NVRAM reset
  • Reset Ventura OS
  • Upgraded to Ventura beta
  • Wipe disk and reinstall Ventura
  • Disconnected battery for a few min
  • It is out of warranty (timing seems suspicious) and I did not purchase Apple Care

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 9:29 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 16, 2023 9:33 AM in response to psu1989

psu1989 wrote:

• 2020 13" Intel MBP keyboard backlight stopped working (only works when booting to Windows). Settings for backlight are missing from the system settings screen.

Worked with Apple Support

It is out of warranty (timing seems suspicious) and I did not purchase Apple Care

Sounds like you ran the gamut.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 16, 2023 10:22 AM in response to psu1989

psu1989 wrote:

even though the backlight works when booting to Windows?

Uninstall Windows using the BootCamp Assistant .app and compare your results

Regain all your storage space by erasing reformatting initializing the parent drive as new, reinstall the macOS, reinstall your user data from backup and report back.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Aug 10, 2023 6:01 PM in response to psu1989

Current issue with my 2018 intel Mac and have done literally everything said and suggested on the internet and nothing had worked for me. The one and only solution I personally found was to completely reinstall macOS Ventura in recovery mode and it actually worked and backlit started functioning as normal…. But the problem has came back and does the same thing eventually I can never tell when exactly but it’s reoccurring I’ve probably reinstalled this Ventura a good 15+ times and have completely erased and wiped my Mac twice since I’ve had it. I truly believe it’s a bug with the update considering reinstalling and works I don’t think it has anything to do with hardware or it wouldn’t work normally after installation and also believe it’s VenturaOS from how it wipes those original keyboard settings from our laptops as if they never existed which is very weird to me the problem isn’t life changing but it’s getting real fkn annoying to reinstall Ventura every time it happens

MacBook Pro keyboard backlight not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.