Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I drag two clips onto the timeline how do I drag the bottom one independently?

When I drag two clips onto the timeline I can't drag the bottom one independently.

How do I do this?

I found I can drag the bottom one independently if I lift it from the storyline, but then there is a grey clip in its original place. What is this? Can i get rid of it? If not, will it be a problem?

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 7:47 AM

15 replies

Aug 17, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Tim York

I think you mean you have two clips stacked on top of each other in the timeline.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

The clips above the primary storyline are all connected to something that's on the primary storyline. Normally if you move the clip on the storyline, #7 here, you will also move the clip attached to it, and the storyline will magnetically close up so there isn't a gap. The gray section that might appear, depending on what you're doing, is a gap clip, basically a transparent filler. You can delete it if you wish, though it will effect anything connected to it.

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction try the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

Aug 20, 2022 5:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ok, this is what I am experiencing:

I drag clip1 onto an empty timeline.

I then drag clip 2 onto the timeline, underneath clip1.

I can now re-position (drag horizontally) clip2, but not clip1.

When I try to re-position clip1, clip2 moves with it.

To drag clip 1 independently:

If I just hold down the Tilda key, and use the default Select tool, clip1 will re-position freely, but when I release the mouse it snaps back to its original position.

However if I choose the Position tool, then hold the Tilda key, clip1 will re-position freely and remain in it's new position, with a grey bar filling the gap.

Aug 20, 2022 6:49 AM in response to Tim York

You need to become more familiar with how FCP wo, as it is different from other editors.

To quickly get up to speed, I recommend that you follow the excellent and free course at izzyvideo. You are of course welcome to post your questions here, but by following at least the first few videos you will learn the terminology and the basic principles of the application.

In particular, you will realize that there are no tracks. There is one primary storyline- in your screenshot that is where the top clip is. Note the darker area along the timeline. Everything that is not in the primary storyline must be *connected* to something there -see the little blue tab connecting the two clips, on the left side of your screenshot.

I could go on but izzyvideo explains all this and so much more, better than I could, and with video.

Aug 20, 2022 6:54 AM in response to Tim York

Android1 is on the primary storyline I think, a dark, black band across the middle of the timeline. It's magnetic. Android2 is attached to it. If you drag 1 downward it will want to snap back to the storyline because it's magnetic. The grave key will let you drag clip1 up or down. It will replace the hole that's created in the storyline with a gap clip. That's a transparent placeholder, which is a darkish gray. The clips that you drag will then be connected to the gap clip.

When I drag two clips onto the timeline how do I drag the bottom one independently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.