📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Content & privacy restrictions is gray out on parent phone

Hello,

I have Screen Time set up through Family Sharing on my iPhone. When I enter into my child's Screen Time settings from my phone, the Content & Privacy Restrictions area is grayed out. All of the other areas in Screen Time are accessible to me.

I can, however, go onto my child's phone and access Content & Privacy. It's only grayed out on my phone. Any advice on how I can gain access to this area on my phone?

I have the same set up on a second child phone that works fine. No issues.

Thank you!

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 5:09 PM

I have all this set up, but when I go to the Content & Privacy Restrictions section and click the button at the top, it goes green for a few seconds and then all buttons and text turn grey again

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 18, 2022 2:11 PM in response to kralon20

Hello kralon20,

Let's make sure Screen Time and Content & Privacy Restrictions are being setup correctly by completing the steps below, that are also listed here: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Set Content & Privacy Restrictions
1. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
2. Tap Continue, then choose "This is My [Device]" or "This is My Child's [Device]."

If you're the parent or guardian of your device and want to prevent another family member from changing your settings, tap Use Screen Time Passcode to create a passcode, then re-enter the passcode to confirm. In iOS 13.4 and later, after you confirm your passcode you'll be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it. 

If you're setting up Screen Time on your child's device, follow the prompts until you get to Parent Passcode and enter a passcode. Re-enter the passcode to confirm. In iOS 13.4 and later, after you confirm your passcode you'll be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. This can be used to reset your Screen Time passcode if you forget it. 

3. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. If asked, enter your passcode, then turn on Content & Privacy.

Make sure to choose a passcode that's different from the passcode that you use to unlock your device. To change or turn off the passcode on your child's device, tap Settings > Screen Time > [your child's name]. Then tap Change Screen Time Passcode or Turn Off Screen Time Passcode, and authenticate the change with Face ID, Touch ID, or your device passcode.

Best regards

Content & privacy restrictions is gray out on parent phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.