Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie - Apple TV

Why the movie that I purchased from AppleTV unable to play on my MacBook Pro ?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 7:49 AM

Crash logs are hard to read for me too. It shouldn’t happen: apps should notify the user gracefully if they can’t do something they’re instructed to do. This issue here is deeper in the system, probably not related to your purchases.

Try these general Mac troubleshooting steps separately:

1. Start up in safe mode. This will skip loading anything that isn’t default, notably third party add-ons, and also refresh some caches. See if it behaves differently. Then possibly you have other software that interferes.
  2. Log in as another user. This will ignore any auxiliary files (e.g. app preferences) that were used with the default user account.

Then try playing the movie again.

While not fixes per se, these steps will narrow down where the problem lies. And that will guide the next step, on what to reset, delete, etc.

Please let us know the result of these.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 7:49 AM in response to Kivywn

Crash logs are hard to read for me too. It shouldn’t happen: apps should notify the user gracefully if they can’t do something they’re instructed to do. This issue here is deeper in the system, probably not related to your purchases.

Try these general Mac troubleshooting steps separately:

1. Start up in safe mode. This will skip loading anything that isn’t default, notably third party add-ons, and also refresh some caches. See if it behaves differently. Then possibly you have other software that interferes.
  2. Log in as another user. This will ignore any auxiliary files (e.g. app preferences) that were used with the default user account.

Then try playing the movie again.

While not fixes per se, these steps will narrow down where the problem lies. And that will guide the next step, on what to reset, delete, etc.

Please let us know the result of these.

Aug 19, 2022 7:18 AM in response to Kivywn

perhaps this problem is occuring because of the movie itself as it is an asian movie.

The origin shouldn’t matter; it still should play normally. The iTunes Store requires that movie producers work with approved ‘Encoding Houses’, to make sure all movies conform to the applicable compatibility standards. Please contact the iTunes Store staff about issues with specific titles.

Aug 18, 2022 2:20 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hello Urquhart1244

Well, when I tried to play the movie, the apps (AppleTV) was quit unexpextedly. And then, I get a full list of problem details and system configuration with some written "crashed threat" which of course, none of those make sense to me as I am not a programmer or tech person.

Well, so far, it happened to 2 of the movie that I purchased. Unsure with the others because I haven't try those yet.

Aug 18, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hello again,

Well, I had tried the safe mode; the apps do not quit unexpectedly but the movie will not play (2 movies).

To make sure this problem does not occurs due to the apps, so I verified all the movie that I had purchased. And it seems that all are fine and ready to be watch. So if I'm not mistaken, perhaps this problem is occuring because of the movie itself as it is an asian movie. The others that I purchased were either European or American movies.

Anyway, thank you very much for the advice, informations and time on helping me.

Have a very good day

Cheers always

Movie - Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.