Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV app

I have purchased movies in my app via Apple TV store. Some off them will play, others won't. The don't start up (spinning beach ball) or the open only very briefly. I mean playing on my computer.

My computer is a 2015 27-inch iMac (4Ghz 4-core i7, 32 GB ram, 4 GB video ram (Radeon R9 M395x), Monterey 12.6.2, everything is up to date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Frank

iMac

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 3:41 AM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Frank Bauwens

Hello Frank Bauwens,

Let's use the steps below to boot your iMac into safe mode to see if that behavior persists from there:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

You can also find those steps in this resource: How to use safe mode on your Mac

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Should that still persist, do you experience the same behavior with other video content, such as online videos?

Are you able to play those particular items using the TV app on another Apple device?

Let us know, and we'll keep moving forward based on those details.

Jan 10, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Frank Bauwens

G'day Frank Bauwens,

Thanks for following up with those additional details. Since this is only happening with content that's stored on an external hard drive, try dragging and dropping a movie directly to your Mac and test playback there. This will help rule out the external drive as a factor: Connect and use other storage devices with Mac

Let us know the results! Have a good one.

Jan 10, 2023 9:07 AM in response to chuckbl

I did start in safe mode, but then the external HD on which my library 'lives' didn't start up(I forgot to mention that).

After normal restarting the problem persisted.

Online video's, at least on YouTube, don't pose a problem.

The items play normally on TV via Apple TV, but here the movies are streamed, they are not on some HD of mine.

Thanks for the response.

Frank

TV app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.