Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail crashes when attempting to expand a conversation

For years I've had all of my messages organized by conversation in Mac Mail. Today out of the blue, when I went to click on the arrow next to a conversation, mail immediately crashed. I've troubleshooted the issue and this happens regardless of email account or folder.

Any idea what I can do to attempt to repair this? I'm running the latest version of OSX Monterey.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 2:49 AM

Lasted stable version of Monterey as of Aug 17, 2022 is now version 12.5.1.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 2:49 AM in response to sole2000

Lasted stable version of Monterey as of Aug 17, 2022 is now version 12.5.1.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Aug 18, 2022 8:10 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you P. Phillips for your help. I followed all the steps and mail is working properly with the dummy account. However after looking at this the next thing I did in my normal account was disable a plugin I have within mail (Mail Butler) and this solved the issue as well. So I think I've isolated it to the plug-in. I'll proceed to uninstall and then reinstall the plug-in and see if this remedies the issue.

Again, thank you for your help.

Hellmuth.

Mac mail crashes when attempting to expand a conversation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.