Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to expand to external storage on a Mac Studio

My last MacBook Pro had 4 TB of storage. It and my iMac 3TB hybrid are both dying, and with no 27" iMacs now, I am leaning toward a Mac Studio, but I cannot afford the hefty price tag of that much internal storage. What are the options for an external SSD and how do you make assignments/designations? I have over 50,000 pictures in Photos and not sure how much music is stored on my computer due to my slow and unreliable rural Internet, so I suspect they would need to be stored in the primary internal SSD. How do I best meet my needs and can they then all be backed up to a single backup drive?

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 5:45 AM

You can use an external ssd. I have a Thunderbolt External drive and keep my movie folder on that drive. All I did was moved from internal drive to external ssd. I saved 89gb of space. You can do the same with Photos etc.

13 replies

How to expand to external storage on a Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.