Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I assign apple mail to open attachments after saving them?

Like WhatsApp, when I receive a file, I save it in a specific folder and a pop-up allows me to open the file, rather than going to finder and wasting time looking for the folder where I saved the file in order to open it.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 10:17 PM

9 replies

Aug 18, 2022 7:15 AM in response to BDAqua

I don't want to open them in Mail. I receive an attachment in Mail, I save it in a destination folder. Now, to open the file from where I had it saved, I'd need to go to Finder, and look for it in the folder.

If there is an option where a pop could give me the option of opening the file, it would save time and effort. Just like WhatsApp does. Or at least, have the file open automatically after saving it.

Aug 18, 2022 9:12 AM in response to BDAqua

tens, if not hundreds. A receipt goes into the accounting folder of 2022. A proposal goes into proposals. A concept note of a certain project goes into the creative folder of that project. Etc.

And I need to open each file after saving it in its dedicated folder. Imagine going through Finder to that dedicated folder to open each and every file I save. And OHH, how many folders inside folders I got to go through to find that file. Wasted Time.

Aug 18, 2022 10:39 AM in response to pdawalibi71

For Security reasons, it is not a good idea to automatically open an attachment as they are the common method of sending you a virus or hack. Typically the default is the downloads folder and if you have it sorted in date order then the attachment should be first on the list. Then if necessary move it to a different folder such as Documents.

How can I assign apple mail to open attachments after saving them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.